Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Killing time

Well, I have packed for at least a month's stay. It is very different to pack for a long time...I will be going to an old farmhouse which is somewhat isolated from the community. Therefore I have packed books, magazines, needlework, both of my cameras.

I am sure that I will have plenty to do at first, but when things start to fall into a routine, the time will move very slowly and painfully. Cooking will be a challenge as there is very little to work with and the appliances are on their last legs. At least the washer and dryer are new.

Tonight, we have ordered pizza and are waiting tonight for my daughter and her husband and my son to come by for a little Christmas. We will all be going different directions in the coming days and while we will all be together at my parents over the holidays that time will be more somber. Traffic is horrible, so they are delayed in getting here.

I am trying to keep my mind off of what lies ahead. I have no idea how long my mother has. My sister thinks it is about 8 weeks, but the doctors are saying maybe 6 months. It is so hard to plan what to do when you have no control over any of the plans. I leave tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. so will have to be at the airport at 6:30. I have two large suitcases (I usually travel very light), so hope I can check in at the curb and just take my backpack and purse on in.

Weather here is C-O-L-D! It will probably be the same in Colorado.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read about your mother's illness. It is always so heartbreaking to say goodbye to those we love! Please do try to write some blog entries while you go through this (use libraries, internet cafes and even use blogger's special email blog entry service). I am interested to read your thoughts and experiences as you go through this difficult period of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel very sorry about your mother. I'm in the same situation although the person who is hospitalized is not my mom but my grandmother. I know each of us has limitation, but once we realize the practical time span, we are at a loss how to get through the reality.
    It seems to be cold in Colorado, so take a great care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.