Friday, February 11, 2005

It Just Keeps Getting Better Doesn't It?

Well, I guess it was the blog surfing that I did a few days ago. I kept coming upon entries where people were sick and snuffling and aching and coughing, etc. So, naturally, I caught it! This is the second day I have been home with a sore throat and some sneezing. Not really sick enough to stay home, but not well enough to really go to work since I don't sleep well at night.

On top of this my husband has received some bad health news. His neck ache which he has had on and off for years, is now diagnosed as stenosis of the spine. Which means he has to have spine surgery in March. Without the surgery he is probably going to get worse with an increased numbing of his lower body --- everything below his shoulders --- and eventual paralysis. He has been in excellent health his entire life, so he is not taking this well. He also fears hospitals about 400% more than the average male.

The good news is that the surgery is 97% successful in patients. These are the kinds of percentages that doctors do not throw around carelessly. So, I am comfortable with this news --- at least as comfortable as anyone can be with such serious news. Good thing that there is the Family Sick Leave Act. Between my husband and my daughters birth in April, I will be back in nursing mode in no time.

1 comment:

  1. Our whole family had the bug last week, which is finally gone, I think. Although, I think my daughter seems to be destined to have a runny nose for as long as she is in school.

    But wow, what a diagnosis for your husband! It sounds like something that came rather unexpected. I know you probably have a hospital picked out, but I highly recommend Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago if that is accessible to you at all. My husband works there, but other than that, it's a great place!

    Get well soon, and your husband will be in my thoughts this coming March. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.