Wednesday, February 16, 2005

My Bulb Mania

Actually the story on this Amaryllis plant is more interesting, since superMANA commented. I once would buy an amaryllis bulb every year. Then I would put them outside in the spring after blooming and kept them slightly watered and fertilized and then bring them in to go dormant in the fall. In a few years I had dozens of bulblets alongside the bigger bulbs and soon I had about 3 dozen plants blooming each January through March. They would be standing in front of my french doors like wooden soldiers. When I moved to this rental house I knew I had to get a grip. So I donated my babies to the library white elephant sale for $5.00 each. They were huge bulbs and did make some money for the library. Now I am down to five plants--three with potential to bloom. The fifth plant is a Scadoxus multiflorus from South Africa that I bought at the Phildelphia Flower show three years ago and which I have managed to keep going and blooming each spring by treating it the same way. It is an exciting flower and I will take a picture of it when it blooms. Right now it is sitting in the pot looking dead (and surrounded by three --count em---three new babies!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm just in awe! I mean, to have something that pretty during the winter months just amazes me. It's almost worth the effort to take care of them (and as I've mentioned, I'm not very good at giving my now-dead plants much attention, namely watering)... Hmm, maybe this will be something I'll look into once the kids know they're not supposed to touch :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.