Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Blogging Neighborhood

I have been surfing blogs and routinely stumble on ones that I like to read and/or find something in common with and post a comment to them. Surfing blogs is like taking a walk in a field outside the city. You come across all kinds of stuff. Gum wrappers, dog droppings, pages of advertisement from a magazine and then every once in a while you find a lovely page from someone's diary or a photograph of a thousand words or a lovely piece of jewelry or an extremely strange and exotic plant.

I find myself attracted to boomer bloggers because I have something in common with the history of their life. But I also find that I am attracted to the young married guitar player, the five brothers who work in geekdom, the young owl, mom's with babies and teenagers...all of which keep me linked to the people in my real life that I love.

Then, because I have traveled so much in my life I am always intrigued by those who live around the world and are able to blog in English...so that I can maybe show that Americans are indeed more complex than the sum of their parts.

Blogging is certainly going to change the world in so many ways. Some which will be surveyed and measured...but I think there are going to be many private stories of change that will never get recorded.

Anyway, I need to start thinking about changing the links on my blogsite to add some of the other blogs I visit regularly. Just think, each of us will create our own electronic neighborhood. The good thing is that we won't have to put up with crabby old lady next door or those drunken newlyweds that fight all the time. We can design our neighborhood exactly the way we want to.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:10 PM

    Thanks for commenting on mine about the wonderful world of work. I have mixed feelings about blogging. I think we long-term bloggers (i.e. those who don't give up after a few weeks or months) must have a love of writing, a need to measure our days and to capture something of them before the memories fade. I think this amounts to being "diarists", but with the added benefit from our side of being able to share in a community of people with common interests and outlooks. I like your blog and will come back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Your weekly wino blog won't let me comment so I'm doing it here.

    Rosé is almost non-existent over here in England. It seems to be completely out of fashion. But when I visited Holland last year, I found that its incredibly popular over there. It is difficult to find a rosé with much character I find, and personally I prefer adding a little creme de cassis to a dry white when I want a pink. A very popular aperetif in France - Kir (as I'm sure you know already).

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, Tom, I think I fixed the Weekly Wino blog...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.