Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Hanging in Until the Last Round

I am not exactly an optimist. I am more of a tenacious fighter who hangs on no matter what happens. I refuse to lose. Months before the 9/11 tragedy, one of my younger sisters emailed me that she had skin cancer. They couldn't find the original mole but it had moved into her lymph glands in her legs. This bad news was followed by the attacks in New York.

That winter I began having back problems. It seemed that some days I was in so much pain, I didn't want to get out of bed. I began to understand what depression truly was and felt myself spiraling downward.

All of this happening over just a few months began to wear on me, but I got angry. I went out to visit my sister and tried to send her optimistic thoughts and also started an intense exercise program to get my back in shape. I was told that I had just a touch of arthritis and there was nothing that could be done. Well, my back returned to much less pain but my sister died that summer.

We sold our house the following spring and it was a very traumatic time as the buyer was a smart real estate woman who kept claiming more and more from us until finally we had to go to a lawyer to get the whole thing to stop. She got the house and we got peace of mind--for a while.

We moved into a rental house that flooded three times that summer---the wettest in history on the East Coast. After much midnight mopping and the loss of some of our "worldly" possessions, we broke the lease and moved once again into another little house. Things calmed down... for a while.

This past fall my mother got ill and this winter, as you readers know, she began to die. Upon my return from putting her in hospice we learned that my husband had stenosis of the spine and needed surgery on four of his vertebrae. The surgery is this morning.

Our landlady cannot renew our lease, and so, in four months we have to find a new temporary place to live incurring all the costs and time of packing and moving once again! Probably buying a condo with our son and absorbing all the costs that entails...working longer and not being able to retire as early.

Last night as I lay in bed, I began to think of all these stresses. It seems my life had been so calm and normal before. Maybe this is now normal life and I lived in some pathetic dream time before. I don't know, but I am still fighting. Only now I am getting a little tired.

4 comments:

  1. I'll keep your husband in my thoughts!

    You do have a lot going on. Moving is a huge stress in itself, I can't imagine having even more pressing issues on top of that. I hope that you'll soon see the calm AFTER the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just reading this blog on Wednesday morning (the 9th). I lost another day somewhere.

    Wow. That is one big plate of life you are trying to digest there.

    I hope the surgery for your husband's spine went well. This is an awful lot for you to go through.

    I am sending warm wishes and thoughts your way for a healthy recovery and a smoother ride in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:32 AM

    This is, indeed, a lot to come to terms with. I don't know how to approach something like that.

    My thoughts are with you - and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:32 AM

    This is, indeed, a lot to come to terms with. I don't know how to approach something like that.

    My thoughts are with you - and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.