Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Another Milestone

I never read anywhere that when you hit your late fifties or early sixties in age, after the kids move out and start their own lives, you get five minutes of down time. You get a weekend to assess where you are in life and where you want to be. Then you are thrust on the life time roller coaster called "Milestone a Minute." Because stuff happens so fast, you don't get much time to dwell on the meaning of it all. Maybe next year...

Mom passed away at 4:00 AM this morning. I am relieved, of course. I keep running scenarios through my mind of how hard it was for all the siblings and wonder who was there, etc. While she had difficulty breathing, it was a peaceful passing. Of course, I regret that I was not there to say goodbye, but I am not going to beat myself up over this. This regret is all about me, not others. I was there for my mother-in-law years ago, so maybe I helped someone through this gate.

Dad wants me out (at least that's what Sis says). So, even though there is no funeral or memorial planned, I am flying out this late afternoon to go through another milestone in my life. I get to be a bulwark or maybe a better word would be a stanchion? My philosophy is always One Day at a Time and one more long airplane ride.

7 comments:

  1. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Mother and I understand the "relieved" part.

    Don't eat the yogurt on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry to hear your mother past away. The absence of her presence will probably stay with you for a while but remember, she is in a better place than any of us could be. Take care. May the Lord be with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss.

    Take Care,

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear of your loss. Take care of yourself as you adjust to this loss.

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Although it may have been expected, our feelings still surprise us with their intensity when it actually happens. My sincere condolences to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your family will be in my thoughts during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very sorry to hear that your mother passed away. You have my deepest sympathy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.