Saturday, April 02, 2005

Pre Mother's Day Celebration

Today is the day my very pregnant daughter has set aside for some activity with me as a mother’s day thing. She will be a new mother herself on the actual Mother’s Day. She is showing up about noon and bringing a 'light' lunch. Then we are off to some secret activity. Weather is miserable and it has been pouring rain on and off all night and should continue throughout the day. I hope this does not interfere with our plans. Actually, just getting to spend most of the day one on one with her is worth all the gold in the world to me. Spending time with those you love where you can focus on each others ideas and plans is so rare in a busy life and I know as her life gets busier, it will be much rarer.

We (Hubby, son and I) have been looking at condos to purchase since we have to move out of our rental house in a few months. My son is pretty stressed as he wants his own place, and at his age really does need his space. We are giving him his 'wedding money' and then loaning him another $10k and I think it will result in him buying a one bedroom for just himself. Real estate here is outrageous and without our help, he would find it very difficult to purchase anything. His job now seems stable and he has paid off all of his debt except for some of his low interest student loans. He is almost 27 and certainly does need breathing room. He works the night shift and seems stressed about not meeting any 'smart' girls with this schedule. He indicated to H. that he doesn't have too many years left to meet the right girl at his age and living in a better (echo generation) neighborhood would help. (I wish I knew why his old girlfriend broke up with him. They made a really good couple.)

In addition, since I have to work in this area much longer before my retirement, Hubby and I are stressing about whether buying a condo for ourselves or just continuing renting an apartment is the best solution. Since I will only be up here two to three nights a week, renting a place seems such a waste of money. We can commute if all else fails, but I would have to work less hours in the day since the commute is 1 1/2 hours each way. Buying a condo is a big financial commitment for that time period and means we will be pretty poor which I am saving even more towards retirement. Then I would spend the rest of each week in our new home. H. is going back and forth about just exactly when he would retire...he has a much more flexible financial situation. And all of this has to come to a head by JULY! H. and son are looking at more places this weekend.

I met with a downtown realtor this week and son and I looked at two places. They were both supposed to be two bedroom. One was one of these brand new ‘New York style’ loft condos. It had granite and stainless steel kitchen, pedestal sinks, sliding etched glass doors between the rooms, and big windows looking outside. Sounds great doesn’t it. Well, it was way outside out price range (over $460K) and really awful for living while nice for showing. The size of the whole condo was only 800 square feet the second bedroom had no privacy and the closet was the size of small broom closet. The bathrooms while new had no cabinets or even floor space for storage cabinets. The dining area was a sitting area and food prep area all in one. And the windows looked out over a car repair lot and run down industrial area! So much for the styles in New York! The second place was in an older building, cheaper in price, but much more charming, about 1200 square feet. The kitchen was a disaster with really old appliances, and there was absolutely no place to park anywhere near the building which would be a crisis for my son a 2:00 AM.

I so look forward to the time when my life is once again in a rut.

3 comments:

  1. "I so look forward to the time when my life is once again in a rut."

    That is one of the funnier things I've read all week! Good luck with your search for a new home.

    A couple friends of mine went through this very same thing in the year before I left Seattle. They would go out and see a house or two or three on the weekends and then later in the week, they'd drag me away from the lab and drive around, showing me the houses they looked at, and tell me how they planned to fix them up. They finally found a fabulous house that sits atop a high hill with a great view of the Olympic Mountains. I keep telling them they need to put a web camera on the porch of their house so I can watch the sun set behind the mountains while I sit in my manhattan apartment.

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, what a stressful situation! Real estate is pretty bad here too, but not nearly as bad as it is eastward. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this situation gets resolved for you in some way or another - before July!

    I was thinking that it's interesting how different one may view real estate the 2nd time around (this house we're in is the first we've owned). I can imagine that shnazzy "New York style" loft would be really neat to someone who doesn't know any better, especially with the really nice kitchen. Although, everyone has something different they're looking for, of course. For me, cabinets and big closets are a MUST!

    As for your son, I know of many, many people my age (early to mid 30s) who are still looking for that special someone. I think it's a common thing these days, and more uncommon to be married and with children. So until this year, I was an oddity - in my circle of friends anyway. :) Good luck to him too. Sometimes that special person comes along when you least expect. Sounds cliche, but I believe in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add - good luck to your daughter too! What an exciting time this must be for the family. That's so nice that you were able to spend some time together before she gets EXTRA busy :).

    And again, I hope this time of uncertainty passes by smoothly, with some sense of closure before July rolls around.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.