Monday, June 06, 2005

OK. I Now Accept That My Job has Died

I think I mentioned a while back that my job was morphing. I am slowly losing my budget. What actually happened is that another department has now taken on the mission from the department that funded me. While I have spent the last few months kissing butt, spending hours finding ways to assist, working on committees and using higher ups to encourage continued funding, I think I need to accept that my retirement years are going to fizzle out like cold water on a sparkler. "They" are re-inventing the wheel and I had hoped that my years of experience would save them some time and mistakes...but they want to do this on their own. (This department has the reputation of being controlling and secretive even among their own staff.)

I realized it this week when I was pretty much eliminated totally from a big push for a press release on something that we have worked on for years before this new department took control. I was 'accidentally' left off the list for meetings and while told the announcement would be on my website, I now find that because I was out at a doctor's appointment today, they were going to put the link up (tomorrow) on their department's website. When I emailed between doc visits I was generously told I could link to their page!

In an email earlier this week "they" emphasized that they would need lots of help in distributing packets, setting up panels, etc. at various venues and when I volunteered to do ANYTHING they needed, I was pretty much ignored and sent a schedule via email if I wanted to attend.

This doesn't mean I will lose my job, just that I have a few years of boring activities to fill before I retire. (I actually could BS my time and no one would probably get concerned.) Unfortunately, I need to be doing something useful and intellectually demanding...so...that is the challenge for my future. Fortunately, my boss likes me and is on my side.

If I was younger, this would be a devastating blow to my ego and career. See, getting old has its benefits.

Also, and MORE IMPORTANT, the mole was a benign keratosis which doc froze like the gum commercial.

4 comments:

  1. A big sigh of relief about your mole being benign. Glad to hear it.

    Jobs - what can we say? Controlling and secretive seems to be the name of the game these days. The overlooking, being left off of lists and subtly ignored - all sound too familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are stories that remind me that I truly hate people, and your story is one of them. I will spare you my bile and vitriol, but I am sure you can pick up my vibes anyway (they are very energetic!).

    You can remain intellectually challenged while doing scut work; get started on your next career as a writer. Seriously. Write a book. You will always be busy and challenged and you will be paid to write it, too, if you remain engaged in your job and are careful to not be discovered by your tormentors, er, bosses.

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support gals...politics is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I remember how things were when I was working. I miss having a career but I do not miss the politics. People can be so unbelievably mean. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.