Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My new lifestyle

I am learning to live like many Americans live in the city.

This apartment has only one washer and one dryer on each floor, and while I can usethe laundry room on other floors, the thought of carrying a basketful of laundry, the keys to the laundry room, the money card for the machines and all the cleaning supplies into the elevator and out only to find that the machine on that floor is busy, has convinced me that it would be easier to use the appliances on my floor.

The laundry room is just across from the kitchen door to the hallway, so I can easily check to see if the laundry room is busy and then run like a crazy person pulling sheets off the bed, towels outs of the bathroom and small rugs from the floor. In addition, I have learned to set the kitchen timer so that I will be reminded when to pull the stuff out of the washer and into the dryer, etc. (Don't want anyone to steal my clothes or throw them on the floor in anger because I am busy drinking wine and blogging!) This whole process is a big change from the luxury of having my own washer and dryer. I no longer have the luxury of doing a small load of delicates. All loads cost the same--$1.50--so I tend to clump stuff together that I hadn't previously. Doing hand laundry and hanging unmentionables in this small apartment could be disastrous. (At least I bought a bunch of new underwear a year or so ago!)

But, I am still better off than my daughter. In her intelligence to bite off more than she can chew (much like manababies methinks) she has decided to gut and remodel her basement. This decision occurred when her baby was less than two months old. What this means is that she had the 'guy' come in and gut the basement--take out all of the bathroom fixtures down there and the new washer and dryer she had purchased a few months ago. The 'guy' is not licensed, but has done some work for them that they liked and so now she or her husband have to go to the permit office to get the permission to do this so that they can be sure the plumbing is done correctly. Therefore, weeks later she is still without a laundry room and is running next door to do her laundry (wonder how long the neighbors will be friends?)

I am so glad there is a hole in my lot! Counting the months.


1 comment:

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.