Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Me and my shadow.

I have not watched the news or read so much about Katrina's results by choice this week. I have contacted a few friends in that area and their homes survived; but they are frantically working on rebuilding research labs or classrooms and libraries. I have contributed as best I can, and need to back off from the images and stories for now. Interestingly, the thoughts still permeate my life. Most recently in the form of food. Last night we harvested and ate these.


As we relished these freshly harvest oysters, we also thought about how the oyster industry in the Gulf area along with all the seafood (caught and farmed) had been devastated. How some of the shrimpers lost their homes and are now living on their boats and have nothing to harvest.

Then today as I live on liquids and find food constantly tugging at my thoughts and food smells driving me bananas (see even my descriptors are edible!), I chastise myself in that I can have nutritious liquids and I am not thirsty like the hurricane survivors nor will I ever be as hungry as they must have been.

My concern for the procedures of the medical appointment early tomorrow is nothing like the fear they must have tried to control.

7 comments:

  1. You make SUCH a good point in this post. (and the food looks lovely even though I don't take part in most seafoods)
    I know I should drink more water than I do and I've been trying to force myself lately. One of my prevailing thoughts this week every time I turned on the faucet was "here I am complaining about having to drink more water and these poor souls can't get any!"

    Very nice post. (I hope your procedure went well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how we feel guilty even when we have not been the cause of someone elses bad fortune. I just gulped down the first half of the 3 oz. of that stuff. Now the fun begins!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just step off your porch and go harvest oysters? Gee....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the cages are hung below the dock, so it sort of is like stepping off the porch, I guess. Although we don't have anything there except concrete block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything went well today!

    Those oysters look scrumptious. Actually, as I'm sitting here, my mother-in-law is cooking up something that smells so unbelievably delicious. I can't even imagine what it's like to go days on end with no food or water. But what broke my heart was reading about the poor babies and children who had nothing to eat. Talk about really putting things in perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope your 'scopy went okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:43 PM

    I know what you mean. Even when we stop watching and reading about it...it is in our psyches now!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.