Monday, October 10, 2005

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Daughter and I spent the day shopping for some fall clothes. We both needed winter coats so went to a nearby outlet mall that had lots of choices. We brought along Xman to provide comment as well.

Daughter was trying on a black wool coat and was looking in front of a full length mirror that was across the aisle from all the coats. When she went back to get another coat, I picked up Xman from the stroller and took him in front of the mirror to entertain him. I looked at him in the mirror and noticed something odd, but thought maybe it was just my old age vision. I called my daughter over and told her to look at Xman's face in the mirror and she noticed it too.

His chubby round baby face looked oval and definately less chubby in the mirror. That was when we realized that we both looked so much thinner in these new winter styles than last year. We just needed to bring this mirror home with us. Sneaky store.

7 comments:

  1. Kind of like subliminal advertising.

    The mirror would be great for somebody on a diet. Look, I hardly have anything on my plate....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can see such a tricky mirror in many clothing or shoes stores. It makes me happy when I look at myself in there, but I soon realize it is myself well faked.
    I should buy some new autumn clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister had such a mirror in her downstairs bathroom. No need to wonder which bathroom I used when I visited her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:56 PM

    I can hardly bear to look in shop mirrors - the lights! Far too bright. i need a dim light on me these days.

    Your meal last weekend sounded delicious. Just the sort of thing I like playing around with - I get to cook Saturday nights, with a bottle of wine to help me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized we don't have any full length mirrors in our house. Never got around to buying one, and now I know why :) I think I will hold on that for a little bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:03 PM

    Most mirrors make you look heavier...occasionaly I've come across one like the one you saw...and what a lift! It's like when someone guesses I'm much younger than I really am.

    I commented on your comment on my site...if you want to check it out next time you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm. I think I might have walked up to the cashier and asked "how much for the mirror?"

    Colleen is right. Most mirrors add pounds (and particularly where we don't want or need them!)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.