Thursday, October 13, 2005

Stream of Consciousness Sleeplessness

I hit the top button on the alarm clock and the sickly blue light permeates the bedroom. If I sit up on one elbow I can see that the current time is 2:10 A.M.

Damn! Why did I wake up? I thought I was having a nice dream.

Pillow is too warm so I turn it over to the cool side and lay back down.

Darn, now it will take me forever to fall asleep again. I have that committee meeting in the afternoon. I hate that meeting. I should wear something nice and professional so I look on top of things. I’ll probably fall asleep in the middle of it. Go to sleep…go to sleep….

Nice talking to Son after dinner. Wonder why he finds it so hard to call us? That cold of his doesn’t sound good. Hope it isn’t something more serious. I should have reminded him to use antibacterial hand cream. He looked heavy last time I saw him. He needs to get more exercise. I hope he has some kind of social life with that horrible work schedule of his. I wonder if he is dating anyone.

Did I flip the deadbolt on the front door? I should get up and check it, but then I will really be awake. Go to sleep…

I’ve got to remember to get a new pot for the plant at work. Must do that on Saturday, but I also need potting soil. Where will I transplant it? In front of the apartment building?

Must remember to call or email to coordinate builder and inspection guy…I’ll ask hubby to do that tomorrow.

We’ve got to finalize the kitchen cabinets. Why doesn’t that kitchen guy call us for another meeting? He should be back from his honeymoon by now. I still want to talk to a kitchen designer. I am not comfortable in having a 30-something newly wed ex-marine planning my kitchen cabinets. Damn. …Calm down now. GO TO SLEEP!!!

How can he sleep like that? He is dead to the world. I want that kind of sleep.

Is that rain I hear? What will I wear tomorrow? Has to be something that I can wear in the rain I guess. Maybe I should get up and blog…like that would help me sleep. Ha.

“Take a deep breath and release it slowly. Totally relax all your muscles. Start counting backwards from 100. …………….2-1-0”

Geese, I’m still awake. Now I have to pee and I also am getting thirsty.

I throw back the covers and surrender to the gods of destiny as I head first to the bathroom and then to the kitchen.

8 comments:

  1. LOL! With tears in my eyes from laughing so hard! You hit the nail on the head with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, can I relate to this. And even though I'm not working I still get upset when I cannot fall asleep. And the harder you try, the longer it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had nights like that. Sometimes I have to count backwards all the way to 60.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really envy you!
    These days I'm always sleepy. Night and day...
    Late afternoon yesterday, I was at a cafe in downtown in Osaka with my daughter, and fell asleep as soon as I sat on the sofa at the back corner, holding a moist hand towel usually served when taking an order. unbelievable!
    On the way back home, I also took a nap on the train. Moreover I went to sleep easily last night.
    I wish I could stay awake longer.:-O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Middle-angel, you can send me some of you sleepiness. (I do fall asleep at night in front of the TV and then force myself awake so I can sleep throught the night.)

    As to the rest of you, how about a nightcap?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have spent many nights just like that. I end up catching up on my sleep on the subway .. it's a real talent to ride the subway, snoozing, and still manage to wake up before the doors slam shut on your stop, whisking you a zillion miles away from where you gotta be. I think a subway ride will fix you right up!

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite posts of yours (notice I haven't been to Judy's yet - I hate when I miss posts in between visits).
    I know insomnia isn't fun, even one night of it, but this post made me laugh myself silly - maybe because it was so easy to relate! Great job ...

    I figured you meant A.M. ... maybe that was wishful thinking?

    off to read more now ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Hag, I meant A.M. but as tired as I get at 2:00 P.M. ---who knows!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.