Saturday, November 19, 2005

Egg Candy


This is a gift of "candy" from some Japanese colleagues. I am not fond of Asian sweets and I have a feeling that these will not surprise me when I taste them. The Japanese like raw eggs and these really look like raw eggs! At least the wrapping was beautiful and the thought was good. It was wrapped in pretty Japanese paper covering a box and then the plastic wrap which is shown and another layer of plastic covering over the actual tray of sweets.

(and later...)

Ok, the outside is sweet and as gelatinous smooth as it looks, The inside is powdery and grainy, exactly like the texture of a well-cooked egg yolk. Probably one of the most unusual foods I have eaten in a long time.

5 comments:

  1. Even though I'm Japanese, I've never seen or tasted it. Since you need to use the wooden stick to remove it, it must be soft and sticky I guess. Seems to me its more like more like cakes rather than candies. Then, how do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middle-angel, I don't think I like it, but I don't hate it. It is just very unusual for my tastes. After all, it is the thought that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, very interesting. One thing's for sure, the Japanese are so keen on package design.

    I'm actually craving one of those now and I don't even know what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Doesn't look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting item. I like your careful use of the word "unusual."

    Awhile back a coworker returned from Japan with a box full of "candies." They were gorgeous, and as we worked at an aquarium and the business trip was marine related, so too were the candy decorations. They were called "candy" but nothing in the box was actually sweet. There were a few ginger-flavored items which weren't too bad, but sweet? No.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.