Thursday, March 09, 2006

Love is in the Air

I left the apartment for work before the sun was up today. The air was cold but not bitter. I heard the pure and loud song of a bird that I could not identify against the black silhouette of the tree across the parking lot. I think it was a sparrow…the poor English interloper sparrow of the Mid-Atlantic. He was singing his heart out, even though the sun had not yet sprayed its yellow warmth across the asphalt. His song was full of bird passion. He was clearly looking for that someone special, calling in that cavalier way that identifies the single male. Those clear notes against the increasing murmur of the morning city noises told me that spring was on its way! Hurray!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely word picture. I could almost hear the little bird singing his heart out.

    BTW The Doctor who delivered me 76 years ago was named Dr. Birdsong. I have always felt sorta special because of that unusual name....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that emotion! We can hardly wait. We found 2 broken eggs in the evergreen garden area yesterday after some severe windstorms hit Puget Sound. I thought it was a little early for bird romance and nest building, but apparently not. Made me very sad to find the shells. :( We have a beautiful varied thrush and her lover grazing daily now and robins are out and about early each morning. I say spring is HERE! (even though today we had brief snow flurries and the temps are at freezing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are you going to give up apartment living? By the time the birds hatch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, like many things in life, I will not be giving up apartment living any too soon. I really need an income for the next two years or we will be sitting on orange crates and having just a bare lawn at the new house...retirement is still a while away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very beautiful post. I almost ran over two birds "twitter-pated" today with my car. They must have had their minds on "ahem" other things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. speaking of "other things" ... pale male and lola are sitting on eggs in their fifth avenue penthouse with a view in manhattan again this year. let's hope they hatch this time.

    GrrlScientist

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very strong imagery here ... thank you for that! YES! I can also detect subtle and not-so-subtle signs of spring lately. And that's not counting the fact that the local stores are filled with bathing suits already since before Valentine's Day. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.