Thursday, March 16, 2006

Stop the World I Want to Get Off


I am on a rant today. What set me off was a traffic light, a new traffic light that was installed to allow pedestrians to cross safely on a very busy road outside my office (cubicle if you really want the picture-perfect version.) This section of the road is very busy with buses, cars, and pedestrians leaving several high rise office buildings to cross to the small shopping center that has restaurants, a nail place, a hair place, a coffee shop, a cleaners, a drug store, a bank and a supermarket, just the kind of place that busy people might want to get to during their mid-day escapes from the office. Using the crosswalk was a dangerous game and several people had actually been hit by cars.

There never was a light until last year when they put up a caution signal light and a sign that said “Pedestrian Crossing.” On occasion a motorcycle cop would hide behind the shopping center sign to catch cars that didn’t slow and let pedestrians cross.

This didn’t work. There were still close calls, several even I experienced. The trouble was partially that pedestrians would not check the light down the way for the major intersection and they would cross whenever they felt like it, forcing a car to stop for them and then miss the green light at the big intersection. Part of it was the drivers on the opposite side of the road that were racing up the hill and just wanted to get by while you waited in the MIDDLE of the street.

Well, early this week we got a real light, a push button to cross, a ticking timing bell, and a voice that says you can now cross. Well, people are still crossing without the light, drivers are still trying to beat the light change, and I almost was hit by a stupid middle-aged white guy at lunch!

I have way too many things to worry about more than crossing the street! There is mad cow disease to my south forcing me to give up hamburgers indefinitely, as well as PCBs and mercury making me question both my salmon consumption AND my Omega 3 capsules,

I have to worry about my identity being stolen on the Internet to say nothing of my concern hoping that my employer doesn’t find my blog. I am worried that I will not get any Social Security when I retire. I am worried that the stock market will collapse under this crazy administration spending which has no regard for the country and I will have to work until Hell freezes over.

Even though my new retirement house sits about 20 feet above the water level, I have been told by scientists that the water is rising and the icecaps are melting. I also have to worry about Lyme’s disease (which I already contracted once) as we attempt to clear out all of the deadwood in the area near the new house in order to avoid any fire hazards from the increased lightning due to global climate change.

I am worried about my daughter’s storm door to the front of her house which leads to a VERY busy and dangerous street and which is only seconds away if Xman hits the storm door just right while running.

I am worried that my son will never have a social life since he works nights and he will never meet the right girl, I will never be allowed to enjoy his children, and he may end up depressed and a recluse. (HE NEVER ANSWERS MY CALLS OR EMAIL.)

I am worried…OK, I can go on and on and on. Now I know why I have trouble sleeping nights. It is time for my Yoga tape. Breath in…breath out…

Sorry, but remember this blog is my therapist sometimes.

10 comments:

  1. Uh, you forgot the Avian flu. You gotta be worried about that.

    Seriously, I am sorry your day was so hectic. Let's me and you grab that middle-aged white guy and beat the tar out of him.

    I am always nervous at pedestrian crosswalks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do we worry? I can so relate to this.

    To stressless days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about that. I think I am back on the right track...One Day at a Time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if you keep this schedule up you can worry about your funeral. GIVE IT UP, GIRL! You already know life is too short to spend time worrying about things you cannot change.

    Buy your dcaughter a new storm door if you can afford it. That seems like one which should be fixed pronto.

    Hope you have a great weekend. Enjoyed your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sky, you are SOOOO right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Therapist:

    Please be nice to Tabor. She never did anything to you....

    Ol' Hoss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I are so alike. I worry about similar things too, which keeps me awake at all hours of the night (hence the occasional 2 a.m. post on my blog). I've never been much into yoga, but it's sounding pretty good lately.

    Blogging IS good therapy. So is a good glass of red wine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. road apples, yo ho yo ho. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:49 PM

    Life is full of surprises...but as the title of your blog says: "One Day At A Time". :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes a good rant clears the head. Did it work for you?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.