Thursday, April 13, 2006

Thursday Thoughts

  1. Colleen has a little thing going called "13 Thursday." I am such an independent cuss that I cannot be confined to such a strict format. Besides, I don't think my brain holds 13 things at one time, nor would I be willing to do this every Thursday! But today I have a bunch of random thoughts and thought that they would make a good Thursday post.
  2. I changed to a spring purse today and realize everytime I do this, I am carrying more stuff than I need...maybe. It is 'old lady' stuff and would never fit into a model's pencil slim purse. I need a compact magnifying tool for reading menus under candle light, a small container of Aleve (which I have yet to use) just in case I get pain during the movie or whatever after sitting for so long, a compact umbrella, four sets of keys (my car(s), my apartment, my daughters apartment, my office,) plus a key ring with all those stupid barcode cards that you scan when you shop at a particular store. Then all the other stuff like wallet, checkbook, just enough make-up, brush, tissue, a container for all credit cards, business cards, train cards, breath mints. OK ENOUGH about the contents of a lady's purse.
  3. I got these in the mail yesterday and didn't have time to look at them until tonight. Hedwig has her bird books and I have my house books. I will start on them when I am finished with this blog and I am so excited I may not pour a glass of wine first. (Who do I think I am kidding?)


  4. Ronnie received a lot of birthday wishes and one contained a funny video (staged or real--hard to tell) about a little old lady with a cane trying to cross at an intersection while a sportscar driver at the stopsign keeps honking to get her to move faster. Finally in anger and frustation, she hits the front fender of the car with her large bag and she continues to slowly cross; the drivers air bag goes off sending white powder into the air with a surprised driver watching her continue to cross the street at her pace. (Some of you have probably seen this humorous video.) BUT have you heard this news which I saw on our network news last night?! This is no longer funny for those of us who know that aging bodies DO belie what we think we can do! To say nothing of the importance of SLOWING DOWN WORLD.
  5. Why does the builder's brother always call my husband before he calls me? A little intimidated by an intelligent woman with a mind of her own, perhaps? Or is my husband more easygoing and willing to cave when difficult decisions have to be made?
  6. My son seems to have gotten back together with his old and primary girlfriend. This is a big deal to his parents if not much significance to bloggers everywhere. She came to Xman's birthday and I tried to be as casual as I could when talking to her.
  7. Looking forward to our vacation at the beach the end of April and first week of May. This is a vacation with our kids who will overlap somewhat but not be there at the same time. This is the first time we have done something like this...hope it works.
  8. I wonder how many folks were "taken aback" by the reptile photos in the previous post? Peruby let me know she had misgivings. While I do not love snakes I am fascinated by them, as I am by all living things.
SEE I made it to eight...more than half way there. Does this mean I have half the brain of the 13 Thursday bloggers?

    4 comments:

    1. I wanna know more about the girlfriend, nosy snoop that I am! ;)

      Enjoyed the post!

      An idea for the "big bag" ladies: Enjoy the small bags and be fashionable by taking a larger bag with make-up, extras of things you might need, meds, etc., and add your adorbable new SMALL bag to the top of the heap inside the bigger bag. At your destination remove the small handbag and leave the big clunker in the trunk. Proceed to the dinner party or evening function knowing that if things get rough, the items are only a parking lot away! Several of us do this, and it always works out perfectly. We are not burdening our older bodies with heavy handbags to pull on our shoulders or to drag along as we walk.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Anonymous12:19 PM

      Just 8!? Not 13? I'm not much of a joiner either, but I do the 13 because I like the way I can tie all the loose ends into one post that don't fit anywhere else.

      I do have a small magnifying glass in my pocketbook that I put there for reading maps while my husband is driving. I never thought to use it for reading menus, but I will now. I usually get up and go to a window, complaining all the way about how DARK restaurants are. What don't they want us to see?

      I have several good frustrating stories about how people will only go through my husband or only take me serious if something I want to say comes out of his mouth! Maybe I'll post them some day...to get them off my chest!

      I answered your question about the "Where I'm From" poem over at my site. I think you should try writing one...even though your in independent coot.

      By the way, we say "pocketbook" up north. A purse is only the pretty little thing you take to a prom.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Good luck on the family vacation! LOL

      ReplyDelete
    4. It's funny, I've thought about doing the 13 Thursday thing as well, but I'm too inconsistent to join any clubs.

      You did a nice job here ... I like random thoughts every so often. It's pretty much the way our brains actually work, isn't it?

      I too want to know more about the girlfriend ... AND ... regarding Colleen's comment here, she's right. In NYC there's almost no such animal as a "purse" ... I grew up with "pocketbook" until I moved to this area of Connecticut which, for some odd reason, everyone thought hilarious every time I said it ... so now I've gotten used to purse (though it took 20 years).

      ReplyDelete

    Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.