Monday, July 31, 2006

My life is stuff

Once upon a time there were 247 boxes all taped and clearly marked that correlated with a list that disappeared somewhere a long time ago in the land of the grand scheme of things. The boxes sat patiently in a cold warehouse among mice and dust and other strange boxes for approximately two years. The lower class boxes sat less patiently in a hot metal shed with heat and humidity and freezing temperatures through the same number of seasons. I think now there are only 50 boxes left to open and with contents that require sighing or lamenting. Let's see, one box contains a 2 foot blue silk bat with real bat teeth that can hang from the ceiling! (Now there is a conversation starter.) Another box is filled with old faded photos of people I don't even know! There is the small blue suitcase of baby clothes that I was saving for my daughter who does not want or need them. Maybe they will be appropriate if and when my son has a baby. There is nothing more depressing than admitting that most of your memories are only of value to you and your husband. The things that you save will eventually be burned, thrown away, or given away when you finally shuffle off this mortal coil. And your children will be swearing under their breath at the work that will entail.

After two days of such work and late in the afternoon of the second day, my husband asked if I wanted to go for a "sunset paddle." This is really his code for "Do you want to sit with me while I go out and fish." He got the bait bucket and I got the lifejackets and paddles and off we went to the dock to put the canoe in the water.


This was a big mistake on my part in spite of the serene picture above because the air was deathly still and the humidity was high and the heat was still in the air and I was miserable. I also forgot to take water and I was thirsty. There is nothing worse than a crabby woman in a canoe.

We passed the 'Gossiping Gang of Geese' that camp on the sandbar near the mouth of the river.

I turned to the cool side of the sky away from the setting sun and caught a photo that almost made me pretend that the evening was getting cooler and that a breeze was coming up.

But I was wrong. It was a sizzling hot evening and even the surface of the water seemed to be sizzling. This was the surface of the water's true color, no tweaking.

We were glad to see the sun descend behind the peninsula of land as we paddled back to the dock. (Caught only one reasonable sized perch.) It was still hot, but we pretended that this was a cool evening sojourn.

12 comments:

  1. .Tabor ,Oh how well I remember the task of going through boxes and belongings and stuff. Deciding whether to toss it or keep it. It is a debilitating chore and in a hot warehouse with impatient helpers waiting for my decision I almost wanted to say TOSS IT ALL!!

    I have probably told you about this before but perhaps not:

    About 15 years ago we had a direct lightening strike on our garage utility room starting a fire which traveled all through the house causing tremendous damage. One part of the attic was completely burned up. This contained many keepsakes from my children including a Barbie Doll wearing a handmade crochet wedding dress that my husband's mother had made. And Raggedy Anne and Andy from their childhood . These were just some of the lost stuff and I grieved over all of them.

    Then after 6 months of rebuilding and renovation( we moved to an apartment and all our stuff went to a warehouse or to be redone) we had the ordeal of going through the boxes and some of the charred remains of belongings. It was like an archeological dig and almost did me in emotionally. But now, today, I am glad what we lost is gone. I don't have to face getting rid of so much STUFF now that I am 15 years older and not quite as able to deal with it.

    What you needed after your ordeal was a nice cool drink, lemonade or margarita, and a rest in the shade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:15 PM

    Hi Tabor,

    Now I see why you zeroed in on my black clothes, because you were so hot or remembering being so! I did answer you on LL.

    Whenever I move, I always look at the boxes and think, "What is all this stuff?" I think I could abandon them and never really miss anything in them.

    At least you got some nice photos out of your ordeal. I love the "gang of gossiping geese" reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About 25 years ago, I was planning to move and my daughter packed up about 20 boxes of stuff that I wasn't using at the time and put them in the garage. Then, we didn't move for another eight years. At which time I decided that since I had never opened any of those boxes to get anything out of them, I obviously didn't need them. Threw them away, unopened. And I have never, not once, said, "Oh, hell, I threw away that treasure!" For the life of me, I don't know what was in them and have never missed whatever it was.

    Unless that's what happened to the black dress sock rabbitt Kate made me when I had my tonsils out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabor, I am going through boxes here too, yet another misguided attempt on my part to transform this little house into a model of Zen symplicity, and it is amazing what I am finding in the boxes and crates. Bit of an ordeal doing that "stuff" in this rainforest weather though....

    .... LOVED the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. REAL bat teeth? That "IS" a conversation starter. I hear what you are saying about the STUFF. I must remember this.

    The heat seems to be just oozing off a couple of those pictures. But they are still so beautiful. I wouldn't have known otherwise if you had not mentioned how hot it really was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bat with teeth? Hehehe The pictures were breath taking even if you were hot and crabby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. after 2 years and one month, we still have unpacked boxes in our garage, 2 of them wardrobe boxes which i apparently don't need. i have no idea which clothes i no longer have access to; cannot even imagine what they look like any longer! moving is such a #$%#& - i hate it! it takes me forever to feel connected to a new place, even one i want to move into! knowing we have one more move ahead of us i brace myself when it crosses my mind. yet i do so much want to live on the water. are you both fully retired now?

    your photographs were stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chancy, I am so sorry to hear about your fire. Fire's take everything. You sound as though you have gotten over the scars and realized for the most part it is just stuff. Colleen, thought black was just a poet thing--no beret though. Maya, if you find the sock rabbit send it my way for Xman. Kerrdelune--yes Zen--I am so far away from achieving that. Peruby, I THINK they were real teeth, they looked real. Tanks, Tammy, and Sky hubby is working about 20 hours a week and I am still in the grind. It will be in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. tabor-

    The crabby woman in the canoe got some very nice photos, the color in the one second from the bottom is really gorgeous.

    Do you have some archival system for your "stuff"? I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to organize my photos once I start copying 35 years worth of slides onto disc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I commented on Jim's blog, but I really don't have a good system. My early digital photos when t folders on zip drives which have since been migrated to CDs and due to new I have been reading will be migrated to DVDs! I have used Paintshop Pros photo album software package, but am hesistant to rely on proprietary software for long term use!! Maybe I should just rely on a spreadsheet or paper table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will have to be a new motto of mine: "There is nothing worse than a crabby woman in a canoe."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:33 AM

    This post reminded me of two things: to go down cellar to open the boxes that I've had stored there for eighteen years before my brother-in-law arrives next week to claim them (long story), and a recent discovery I made to prevent the crabby-lady-in-the-canoe-syndrome: purse-sized crossword puzzle-books. I bought one in an airport not long ago, and since, always carry one in my purse. The easy kind, so whenever I'm stuck in line in grocery store, etc., I can work a few squares to offset creeping aphasia (forgetting words as I age). This works great in our version of the canoe: a little motorboat that my husband delivers sails in. (But you should just keep on grabbing your camera).ML-FFF

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.