Friday, September 08, 2006

The Tablecloth Trick (Future magicians, link is here)

Do you remember the old tablecloth trick where the magician pulls out the tablecloth and all the dishes remain on the table exactly as they were before the pull?

Guess who wants to be a magician in my family? (Either that or he has a death wish.) While Xman was being fed from a jar of pureed peas
of the most emerald green color, he got it into his head to reach for the place mat on which the peas rested. While his mommy was retrieving a fallen napkin, deft little fingers grasped the fringe of the mat and with a very professional twist of the wrist pulled the cloth mat determinedly up toward the air. The place mat flew in his grasp across the room and the spoon, the jar of peas, and another container of applesauce (as yet unopened) all took flight until gravity reminded the solids of their place within the laws of physics.

Everything went crashing to the floor, and like
a good scientist, Xman carefully observed the results, including the swift actions of various adults rushing about with paper towels and sponges to protect all the surfaces of the new house. It seemed that some peas landed on the table, others on the floor and even dollops decorated Xman's clothes.


It wasn't until Xman's dinner came to an end that Tabor happened to look upward and saw that quite a few green circles of food had risen to the ceiling above. Xman has a unique talent for making me wish I had given in to my husband and just bought a fishing shack!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! Kids are messy. Beautiful house. My brother used to take sliced tomatoes and throw them straight up onto our white kitchen ceiling so that they would stick there to see how long it took for them to fall down. They left a little orange circle there. We painted over it, but I wish the stains were still there. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they are so delightful when they are messy! I'm glad that Xman is such a deft little person.

    My Richard used to take the screws out of things. Doorknobs and cupboard handles fell off in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great, Maya, I am so looking forward to an eternal repair job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Not on the ceiling too !!!

    Priceless....But at least the green peas color goes with the yellow walls...

    (ducks) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love kids just because they are messy and do things we never expect.
    Your Xman is powerful enough to make people around him happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:41 AM

    So that's the trick...hide the beans on the ceiling and not up the sleeve. I bet it surprised even him!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.