Monday, October 16, 2006

A Sicily post script


The Sicily sun is intense, and even in the fall, so warm that we frequently sought the shade of a building or tree. The beach itself was very peaceful and sandy.

We stayed at Hotel Spendid in the little beach town of Mondello. Each night there was a little market along the beach walk where tables were filled with crafts from Northern Africa and rural parts of Italy. One stand was roasting chestnuts which were in season. It seemed to me that most of the tourists were Italians.

The best seafood in Sicily was the shrimp and squid which were fried. I had the stuffed squid which was tough and not all that appetizing looking. We also tried the mussels which were fat and fresh.

I tried hard to find fresh fish, but was unsuccessful.

If I get back to Sicily again I will rent a car and just slowly make my way around the island stopping at the various villages---each has something unique to offer.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:57 AM

    Just loved to look at your Italy and Sicily photos.
    Looks like you had a wonderful trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take that photo? Whatever...it looks just beautiful. Your vacation photos are just marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, all the photos here were taken by me. With my older camera, so not as nice as I would like. The gal in the photo is my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.