Tuesday, February 27, 2007

On Another Way

I will be leaving tomorrow for my Dad's memorial service. I love him too much to write about this. Most good writers get their feelings and thoughts down and come to some growth and realization as well as a beautiful written memory. I will have to write about this much later. I have many regrets and pain and just CANNOT share it. I may be a coward but I just need time. So enough on that.

Now for some random thoughts that are keeping me sane.

1. How do you think Al and Tipper's evening went and what were they thinking when they ate dinner with people who use double-sided tape to get dressed?

2. I may never retire, with today's stock market free-fall. Have you bought anything made in the United States lately? Most of my new furniture, towels and sheets came by way of China even though I purchased from U.S. firms. I guess you can't manipulate the market forever! Wonder where this leaves Bush's private retirement accounts idea?

3. I will not get a lifetime achievement award in my field (as my husband has recently gotten) when I retire unless not killing an immature twit that I work with counts as a mature gesture on my part. I am still trying very hard to kill her with kindness and this gesture deserves some type of reward, don't you think?

4. Now the US Center for Science in the Public Interest says that chain restaurants routinely serve "A 2,000-calorie appetizer. A 2,000-calorie main course. Another 1,700 calories for dessert." While I am smart enough to know the caloric dangers of eating in a restaurant and frequently split entrees or desserts with my hubby, I am a little sruprised at these numbers! Shouldn't we get a little truth in advertising on the menus? After all, this isn't a once a year visit to Roy's, my favorite restaurant.

5. Whoopee! Spring is coming. After my memorial long weekend with my family, my husband and I are escaping to Arizona using up some 'points'. Please tell me you want to see a few of the lovely photos I will take of the very unique area where I will be staying.

12 comments:

  1. Yes I want very much to see your lovely photos of Arizona. I have fond memories of a great trip there and all the red rock hills near Sedona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabor, your pain is still so raw, you need to grieve...I'm sorry for your pain. HUG

    You definitely deserve an award for putting up with the twit and your hard work, but congrats to hubby :)

    I'm off to check my stocks! Bring back lots of pix ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace - be with you and your family.

    Twits - there's one in every office. Two in mine.

    Spring - can't wait and can wait. Beauty to see, but work to do.

    Restaurants - I steer clear of the "all you can eat buffets" Crazy!

    Photos - you betcha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:23 PM

    I'm looking forward to your Arizona pictures. Was there a few years ago - beautiful country!!

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:49 AM

    I always ask for a doggie bag and make two meals out of one!

    Sorry to hear you lost your dad. I feel for you. When my dad died in the fall of 05 I had to mourn the loss of him and the loss of the part of him that wasn't here even when he was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tabor, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I lost my father in 1995. It's hard. ((hug))
    I try to buy things made "anywhere but China" but damn, that is difficult. Ever shop for shoes...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only just catching up on blog reading and writing. My thoughts are with you, and hope you have a restorative time in Arizona. Photos? Bring em on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tabor, I am so sorry to hear you lost your Dad. I am sending a warm hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping you'll find ways to cope with this immense loss - and all that surrounds it as well. You're such a strong woman. I have confidence in you.

    I think you deserve an award indeed for dealing with a mindless twit; workplace or not!

    That restaurant story made my skin crawl and Ed and I don't dine out very often at all. Ugh.

    Who wouldn't want to see photos you take? You could take photos of your big toe (now laughing at the thought) and it'd turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about your loss, Tabor.

    And please please please show us the many photos. I promise to look at at least 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tabor,
    So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waiting for photos...
    I hope you are having a lovely and restorative time. Spring is coming to the midwest finally. 50 today! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.