Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Water and the surface of living things.

As a human being I have been told many times to make sure to drink lots of water because it makes skin look better. This directive does not seem to apply to desert trees. Look at this beautiful bark below on this sycamore.

No water and yet the bark of the Manzanita or Mountain Driftwood is like flowing red ribbons in the desert air.


Below the trunk of the same species gives you a better look at how lovely the deep brown-red bark can be with access to so little water.

Here is a Manzanita lifting weights!

I think that this is the Alligator juniper below. It was tall and shady along one of the hiking trails we took. It's bark looks just like the photo...sharp and rough.

And finally the bark below is the underside of the roof (restored) of a traditional house for the Sinagua (meaning without water) Indians that started extensive agricultural communities in the valleys, on the hill sides and at the tops of hills and disappeared suddenly from the Arizona valleys many many years ago.


7 comments:

  1. I have never seen anything like the trees you have posted. Interesting.

    Funny though, I posted about trees today, too. Must be Spring fever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only manzanita I have seen is on the shelves at the florist wholesale! I like seeing it in the flesh (so to speak).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:17 AM

    Wow! Those photos are just stunning! I don't think I knew any of those trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just gorgeous - those flowing red ribbons are wood, unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you got some great shots! I love that red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love your photos, always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:22 PM

    wow, very nice photos, and a great post.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.