Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Sick of Being Sick

I came down with a sore throat two Sundays ago after spending the two days before holding hands with my favorite little guy who was running a temperature and had a runny nose. He shares everything! I was down at the new house and didn't have any mouth wash or vitamin C for the sore throat so spent the afternoon gargling with rum--really--probably not the best approach.

I nursed a little temperature and upper congestion early in the week, and then feeling better, went to work last week for two and a half days, then totally lost my voice at the end of the week and stayed home once again. I pushed myself over the next weekend, because I really wasn't feeling all that sick, just not sleeping well at nights due to coughing.

I had to go to work this week as two new 'head' people have come on board and I am doing work for one in an Acting position and had to debrief him and the other is a new supportive person to my other program, so felt I had to be there. I was also asked by my boss to coordinate a new project that may be like pushing jello uphill since no one seems to have a vision for how this project will contribute in any way to our colleagues and 'customers' needs but everyone wants their name on it so that they get visibility. I am trying to bring some semblance of reality to this...but may end up producing something flashy and useless as my illness has compromised my energy and diplomacy. I have been pushing and pushing at work and now feel I need to reboot.

Soooooo, today I am calling the Doctor after having another rough night, and while intellectually knowing he probably can't do anything, at least I hope to rule out bronchitus or pneumonia. Maybe he can give me drugs. I have caught two -- maybe three -- illnesses this year that seem to be due to my love of a grandchild who is building his immune system the hard way. This reminds me of the first two autumns that I taught in the public school system. I was sick on and off for weeks as I caught each child's germs.


4 comments:

  1. Grandchildren are good for a lot of things but the thing they do best is pass along every germ known to man.

    Gargling with rum? I never thought of that - but it sounds like a good idea. I suppose it depends on how much you swallow! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you are calling the doctor. Rest and feel better soon. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just passing through. Please pardon me for suggesting...

    Wondering...have you tried swallowing a minced clove of garlic with lots of water before retiring to bed. Personally I find this quite effective but the garlic odor is quite another matter! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been sick far too long and you need relief. I hope your doctor has some good drugs up his sleeve for you. I know the feeling of coming down with so much stuff from the "small grands" but their hugs are almost worth it.

    You made one mistake. You should have drunk the rum instead of just gargling with it.:)

    Try a hot toddy with the rum.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.