Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kinnikinnick for Mothers



The name sounds like a dance or a bird call or a rhythmic clicking of tongue and tooth when pronounced. Perhaps a dance done by Indians in Latin America using bamboo poles? According to the National Wildlife Federation the definition is not so romantic. It is an Indian word for many tobacco substitutes. The species name Arctostaphylos uva-ursi is broken out to mean "arctos=bear" and "staphyle=grape," and in Latin uva is "a bunch of grapes" and I am guessing that ursi also has something to do with bear--- thus the common name bear berry.

As a small child growing up in Colorado this little bush was everywhere in the lower mountains. I remember how strange its name sounded when my mother joyfully pointed it out each spring. I remember how much my mother loved the appearance of the little pink flowers hanging like gentle bells. I just recently learned that it is a cotoneaster...which I should have grasped if I had any observational skills.

At any rate, it was one of my mother's favorite plants. She always went for the quiet underdogs over the showy botanical specimens. My mother was a prickly and darkly mooded person in some ways, and that is why I don't write about her much. We had our lack of meeting of the minds as I grew up, and I really think the fault was mostly hers. I say that without anger or recrimination because I know the fault is mostly mine for many other things. Among her children I was the showy specimen, more attractive and louder than the others and moving boldly into others spaces like some crazy spreading wildflower with too strong a fragrance. This was just me and I couldn't change my personality for anyone. Therefore, mother favored my other sister who was the quieter one and certainly the more generous in spirit. Like the kinnikinnick both were the sturdy ones while I became emotionally vested and overwrought in stuff of little consequence. And yet, both have passed on, one certainly way before her gentle time.

Therefore, when selecting plants for my landscaping I came across this shrub and felt that I needed to purchase two for the bed by the front door, as homage to that woman who, in her own way, made me what I am today ---whatever that is.

And also I must remember the other important mother in my life...my daughter. And above is an image I created just for her that "madonna of all things small." (Hard to believe she is 6 months pregnant with that figure!)

I am off on another adventure with my daughter and son-in-law and husband, so may not be posting unless hubby has access with his laptop. BUT I wish all the mothers strength, love and understanding and command that all the kiddos be there for mom even though she is a pain in the butt sometimes!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:34 PM

    I can't say it. I always think of lilacs with Mother' Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see your pics, but have a good trip, wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be putting yourself down. You are a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:45 AM

    My browser won't let me see your pics either, so I'm not sure whether your bush is the same one - Contoneaster glaucophyllus - that I grew up with in our garden. These days, sadly, it is one of many popular garden shrubs that have been declared noxious weeds in Australia because they have invaded local bushlands.

    It's lovely that there is a particular plant that you can associate with your mother. White asters are the flowers we generally associate with Mothers' Day here.

    Enjoy your holidays, Tabor, and I hope your Mothers' Day is a special one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If memory serves me correctly, you use Safari? Or Opera? There was a problem on blogger with users uploading pictures with those programs dated May 18th. Here:

    http://status.blogger.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photo of your daughter with such love in her eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.