Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Change Doesn't Always Happen Life Story #10


Look at this shirt in the photo above. It looks pretty pathetic and used doesn't it? Looks like it has quite a history---maybe it was worn when painting a few walls, washing a boat or two? It will not surprise you when I write that my husband does not throw anything away if he thinks there may still be a use for it. It may surprise you that I know the exact age of this shirt --- 35 years old this July.

This shirt entered our lives in 1972 when we were living in Palau, Micronesia. It is a shirt made by my own hand. There are no shirt stores on Palau, or at least there were not any stores like that when we lived there. I was quite the little homemaker back then and for hubby's birthday and in anticipation of a potential trip back to the states in the fall, I made him a couple of shirts. I French seamed them if you notice that kind of thing. It still fits, if you note that kind of thing. It is stained but not falling apart.

I must have been a pretty good seamstress for it to have held up this long. I know that I can't sew that well today. Also, they made better quality thread back then. My husband is sweet to hang on to it this long. I am pretty sure that I don't have any clothes of my own from way back when...nor could I get into them. I think I weighed 105 at 5'5"!


9 comments:

  1. I always wished I could sew. What a wonderful seamstress you are and what sweetie for him to hang on to it. :) I don't own anything over 20yrs old, not even a coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no knowledge of sewing, but I find this quite remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Even a shirt has a history and a family tree! I have house clothes, going to town clothes, and things in between. Sometimes I feel like I spend half my life managing clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to sew nearly everything I wore and my girl's clothes too. I haven't sewn anything for at least 20 years. I should get back to it.

    I just gave a t-shirt (Liz Claiborne) that I wore on my 50th birthday and many times every year since (16 yrs.) to Goodwill. I could have worn it longer, but I was tired of it....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very couth, indeed, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure you can't just whip out one or two of those for me? I will pay for your time (and materials, if it's not mustard or khaki).

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really a handsome shirt and I don't blame your husband for holding on to it. What I was famous for when I was married was home baked bread and croissants. But, when they are good they get eaten, so there are none left to gaze on fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh french seams, I remember those. I do have dresses etc back to the sixties that I made and kept because of nostaglia. My eldest daughter (30) is now wearing them in London - trendy! Ive also just found out I have to help her create part of her wedding dress, and all because I made mine in 1967! I cant sew now, but that hasnt dampened her enthusiasm for the project. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you keep that shirt forever. It has such a neat history.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.