Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thursday Thoughts #4

1) I still can't get the image out of my mind of hitting a brick wall and facing lots of unending silence when I retire. I am so busy these days it will be hard to wind down over the next year if I decide I can afford to retire. Going from everything to nothing is kind of scary. No challenges? What will I do?

2) I am on page 27 of "blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and thus far most intrigued.

3) I watched "Babel" last night. It was enjoyable, but could have been a lot tighter and dialog could have been clearer.

4) Did you also know that 90% of toys you buy for toddlers are battery operated? So much for environmental sustainability.

5) On a good environmental note, did you know that a salmon protein recovery venture in Alaska means they want to process fish waste into usable oil products. In an article from the Alaska Journal of Commerce "
Lane estimates that Taku Fisheries processed about 10 million pounds of fish annually, and given about 35 percent waste, was grinding and dumping some 3 million pounds of fish wastes annually. "
Now where in pristine Alaska were they dumping all this, I wonder?

6)
Did you know that Thomas the Train stories were originated by a minister and that some of the episodes are narrated by Alec Baldwin? Yes, THAT Alec Baldwin.

7)
My daughter has moved into her next house and with the help of her parents and friends is really 50% done. (She still has lots of stuff at our house...she will be taking that back sometime soon, won't she, don'cha think?)

8)
I spent much of Sunday afternoon unpacking daughter's boxes. I will wager that every single person that had a wedding (no matter how long ago and no matter whether it lasted or not) has at least one kitchen item that still has the bar code on it.

9) I
am moving into my daughter's house at the end of September. Apartment rent here has increased another $300. She has a basement bedroom and small extra kitchen but is about an hour from my work. Ah, yes, another challenge in my life.


8 comments:

  1. Tabor, retirement is a lovely thing, there is time for reading and thinking, for making quilts and pottering about with a camera - you are going to love it!!!

    Moving into your daughter's house may seem like it is going to be a challenge (and in some ways it is sure to be so), but it's a VERY wise move indeed. May all go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me four years to accept the retirement thing.

    I just recently told my daughter to get her stuff out or it goes to goodwill (garage looks great!).

    Good luck with the new challenges...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:22 PM

    Blogging and writing keeps me pretty challenged, but it's such a desk job. I saw the author of Blink on Oprah. I took the test they were talking about. IAE or something. I googled it and found it online and was pleased to pass without going to jail for bigotry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having had many a stroll past Taku Fisheries, I have watched the birds flock around as the waste is dumped. Wild masses of sea gulls and ravens and eagles circle the dock when they see that there is going to be a dump, and before it hits the water they are darting in and feeding. Anything that escapes the birds is no doubt eaten by sea life of one kind or another.

    We may be wasting it as far as human use is concerned, but nature uses it wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mayas granny,

    When there is about 10 feet of muck from this waste on the seafloor in that harbor...not everything is being consumed. Too much and too frequently...not natural but when it brings in money to the economy everyone looks the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Tabor: You won't sit around in retirement! In fact, you who have been busy all your life and have so many interests, will probably have to discipline yourself to say no to all the volunteer and friendship opportunities that continually knock on your door. I'm semi-retired (just work for pay three mornings a week) and have so many opportunities to do some real good in the world with my leisure time, that I constantly have to say "No." I don't blog much because there is so much other writing to do that seems more important. And blah blah blah. You won't be going from everything to nothing; not at all!
    ML of Full Fath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh Thomas the Tank Engine written by Rev. Awdry - when I was a children's librarian we had his son, Christopher now grown up, come and talk about his childhood and the books. Shame it was on the day that a scandal about his private life hit the tabloid newspapers! We went ahead anyway.

    Just contemplating getting a part time job and winding down to retirement very slowly!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.