Monday, July 30, 2007

The Best Restaurant in the Area


Some days were are very very rich. Take this dinner we had down at the house just before we left to come back to the city.

THE MENU

Fresh croaker and fresh white perch stuffed with garlic, butter, onions and freshly picked sage leaves, salt and pepper and grilled in foil over the BBQ.

Box mix macaroni and cheese (we have a case of this stuff!)

A salad of freshly picked tomatoes--lemon boy and tangerine; a freshly picked cucumber, all topped with avocado, freshly picked basil and a topping of olive oil and vinegar.

All washed down with lemonade.

Yum.

PS--Yes, Croakers do"croak" but I try not to think about that when I am thinking of eating them.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the fish-shaped salad dish. What would we do without mac and cheese? My daughter loves it! I like it now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had croaker. My favorites are sole, tilapia, salmon and flounder.

    I have a good recipe for mac and cheese adult-style; made with white cheddar and gruyere. It's to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never eaten croaker...but will try it if I can find it.

    I am with Kenju...I love tilapia. I also like to look at the tilapia when they are alive. They will bump into each other trying to look at you & they have such big eyes. The way that they look cooked is so different than how they look alive. Then again I have never had tilapia served with the eyes or anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peruby, I bought that dish in Canada on a trip when driving from a long fishing camp trip (hubby style not mine) he granted me a stop at a local pottery...can't remember where, but the fish plate has a lovely pine tree motif.

    Kenju and Bluest Butterfly, I know well the history of tilapia. Originally from Egypt and hybridized tremendously over the past decade. A very sturdy and invasive species! But great for growing to make money. Everything you buy is farmed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully, it is cleaner when it is farmed, like catfish. I didn't know it was from Egypt - that only makes me like it more!! I'm an Egyptophile from way back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I told my husband that we will be having croaker at some point. He has never had tilapia either though....so, I guess we will be eating whichever I come across at a good price first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Sounds like meal that would have some appeal to kids of all ages. A little something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.