Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday Thoughts #5

1) The absolutely best meetings take place in rooms with high ceilings and high windows where the sun hits your shoulders...like in church. Where thunder and lightning are all around but you feel safe. You feel good even if your mind is not on the task at hand.

2) Free career advice: when you are a female and 50 it is time to stop 'shadowing' the most dynamic people in the office and to stop telling them they are "Awesome." It is too late for that approach. Waaaay too late!

3) After you reach 60 there will be days when absolutely everything is going super well and you cannot keep your mind off the thought that some bad news must be just down the way...at least some of us feel this way. Optimists you need to share more (are you listening Colleen?).

4) I saw "Sicko" last night with friends. Michael Moore is getting really good a pushing peoples' buttons. Thank goodness he is funny because this is a tragic movie. You need to see it and then write your Congressional representatives to see where they stand. Most of the criticisms of the movie cannot hold a bandage.

5) I live in two places--at least for a short while longer. I can never remember which refrigerator has the Redi-Whip and this is really, really, REALLY irritating. I also have arguments with my husband about which things go in the little cooler back and forth! Do they address issues like this in marriage counseling?

6) A younger colleague who has a chip on her shoulder but looks up to me found a FEDEX envelope--unopened--on a desk in a corner of an unused cubicle. I remember how it got there. I was trying to help the team secretary juggling her duties and handed her this envelope I had been given and she threw it in the corner in frustration. I thought for sure that she would retrieve it when she calmed down. That was June 28. The Secretary has gone on a family emergency. Guess what was in the envelope...someone's official passport!

7) On another work note, two people came to me this week asking if they could use me as a reference in jobs they are applying for. Can you tell I work in a not-so-pleasant place?

8) Hubby left for Hawaii yesterday...I'm just a little jealous but also looking forward to a weekend all alone down at the house.

10) Millie commented on my new icon blog photo. I have not tweaked the picture...but I don't really look like that. It's the 20% of my face that looks alright. The rest of me looks normal.

6 comments:

  1. You have my favorite kind of humor yet I can't name it. You might not buy this but we think alot alike. I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop because it always does and I love my alone time. I'm anxious to see "Sicko" but you must see Apocolypto (sp ?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:55 AM

    Sounds like scenes from "The Office." I see that you're juggling a lot, but that you're keeping "your eye" on the ball. Are you gonna get a "My Husband went to Hawaii and all I got was this T-shirt?"

    I think Micheal Moore is doing a great service. Humor, like political cartoons, can go where commentary can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you and Tammy; I wait for the other shoe to drop and I love being alone. I like the new pic, but I'm not buyin' your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:54 PM

    I can imagine you really look forward to retirement. MLofFull Fath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm.....I thought all right WAS normal.

    With that passport, you can identify theft for a long time. Didn't you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:27 PM

    I saw Sicko on Friday. I can't stop thinking about it, and how much we need to change health care in this country.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.