Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Calling all movie buffs--HELP

I am having my first real house guests down at the new house this weekend! Yay! Hurrah! EEEEK. (Yes, I did have daughter, son, son-in-law and son-in-laws folks last Christmas, but that doesn't count.) The people we have invited are old friends that we see so rarely. I am going to tell you a little bit about them (you get a peak) and then I am going to ask for some help. But you must respond before Thursday at 3:00 as I will be on my way down to the house. One couple we have worked with over the decades and after our car pool broke up we have not had chance to see them. They are Chinese American. He is a very traditional Asian husband and she is very perfect. She is sweet and diplomatic and smart---the kind of person you would like to be president of the United states. The second couple we have known for a long, long time but we rarely get together because everyone's lives are crazy. He is retired after being a leader in an office in the FDA and we met when he and his wife were graduate students with my husband. She is a lovely but also very smart chemist from Thailand who has lived in this country and raised her family here after meeting him in graduate school in Hawaii. OK, enough info. Now my stupid but important question, which you are totally not expecting. Has anyone seen the movie, "The Good German?" We have it from Netflix and I am thinking of showing it the night we are all together after we have talked each other out and are tired from spending the day on the boat. Is there anything that we would be embarrassed by? God am I so OLD asking this question, but I really don't want to see something like this with my good old-fart friends. Anyone? Anyone??

7 comments:

  1. Sorry, I can't help. I've never even heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.imdb.com (look at the Plot Keywords) says that there is female nudity, ethnic conflict, racial prejudice, bigotry, racial segregation, blood splatter, severed finger, pregnant woman murdered... the list goes on. I haven't seen it, but it sounds risky to me. Somebody told me it was not very good, I can't recall who.

    I haven't seen a decent enough movie in months to even suggest to you.

    ~Peruby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched "The Good Shepard" the other day, it was alright. but I haven't seen "The Good German" yet. The Good Shepard is the first "new" movie I've seen in a while, I've been getting the old Hitchcock movies from Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked up another review for you since I have not seen"The Good German"

    Washington Post Stephen Hunter
    Of The Good German, it can be said that the operation was a brilliant success, even if the patient is not merely dead but most sincerely dead. The movie, in other words, lies there as if on a slab in a morgue, while you admire the corpse for its beauty.

    Miami Herald Rene Rodriguez
    Fascinating in concept but a disaster in execution

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:39 PM

    I'm to late to recommend a movie for your house guests but when you are ready to settle down with a movie I stronly recommend "Children of Heaven"!!

    It's a movie about a brother and sister who are devoted to each other. If I remeber correctly it's a Uranian film - tender and delightful story.

    Another good one is, ":Mostly Martha", a German film. "No Reservations" is an American remake of "Mostly" but from what I read Mostly Martha is much better then "No Reservations."

    Enjoy your house guests. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. Do I feel stupid? Why, yes I do. Sorry for the wrong review. That will remind me to slow down and absorb what I am reading! LOL!

    Anyway, I hope your visit went well!

    ~Peruby

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not even sure I want to know what movie Peruby was reviewing the first time out. hahaha
    Hope you're gathering was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.