Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Have Been a Bad Girl

My visit to the doctor this week brought me some expected news.

Ever since my move to my daughter's house, and even some months before, I have found my days too busy to find time to exercise. Unless I do it just before I fall into bed, which is not exactly the best time. Also, there is not really any room for good aerobic exercise where I now live. Any outside walking that I do involves the company of a little guy with short legs, so the only exercise I would get is the heavy weight of my grandson in my arms if we go too far and I have to provide his transportation on the return. I have tried to remember to walk during lunchtime at work, but I keep finding myself interrupted by yet another task or meeting. I know that I am rationalizing by telling myself that in less than a year I will be retired and can exercise all I want then!

In addition to this self-proclaimed moratorium on exercise (including lifting weights) I have gotten lazy and not renewed my Fosamax prescription for many many months.

Well my recent dexa scan reveals that I have early osteoporosis of the hip and osteopenia of my spine. This disorder is sneaky. It is not painful and years ago, before such excellent medical testing, it was only discovered after the spine started to fracture and the traditional dowagers hump appeared or you fell from an unknown hip fracture and got a broken hip.

This is not the end of the world as an aggressive campaign of taking the medicine and doing my exercise should return me somewhat to my former self. I guess I was being cavalier because there is no history of osteoporosis in my family. This new version of the medicine has a weekly vitamin D supplement (which helps to absorb Calcium) since I have been told that we cannot get enough vitamin D from winter sunshine alone.

In addition to my daily yogurt or cheese snack, I am also going to be taking a Calcium supplement. One 550 mg in the morning and one 500 mg in the evening. The body can effectively absorb only 500 mgs at a time, it appears.

In case you are wondering why I am not taking "Sally Fields" Boniva which is a monthly dose (we should all look like her!), my doctor just likes the greater number of studies from Fosamax.

Getting old and can't deny it.


7 comments:

  1. My husband and I both have heart disease. We have fallen behind on exercise and limiting caloric intake. I read your post and started shaking my head in empathy. Then I read something else on you page. It said, "It is not the experience of Today that drives a person mad,it is the remorse or bitterness of something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring. Let us, therefore, Live but one day at a time." I think I'll start living my todays. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom had a bad dowager's hump, but she preceded the availability of medicines like they have now. I hope you caught it early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking the various supplements too, Tabor, and there are days when I just lurch about and think that no supplement is going to put the old back, knees and joints back where they were when I was forty (or even fifty). For all that, this is a fine age to be, and we don't look it either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take Fosamax first thing on a Sunday morning, read the paper for a half hour and then have breakfast.

    If you recall you have to take the pill on an empty stomach and sit up for a half hour before eating so that system works for me.

    I still have aches and pains but maybe it would be worse without it.

    Yes, I take calcium twice a day too.
    I recently started taking two fish oil caplets too.
    (Plus a few other med's).

    Gets me drinking lots of water.

    You should see my pill box, at the rate I'm going, looks like I should get a larger size!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabor, As they say,"Better late than never" You are doing all the right stuff now. Just keep it up.

    Anyway, you are lookin' good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:04 PM

    I'm going out to jump on the trampoline, or at least walk to the mailbox. I'm about as afraid of that drug as the problem it treats for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many of the things you mentioned are part of the cocktail my mom takes. Years ago I teased that she is like a maraca with all the pills she takes, but if I am smart, I should be taking some things now too.

    I just recently purchased some FIRM videos along with the little doodads needed (a small step thing, weights). I've found this to be a quick, effective way to get cardio AND weight-bearing exercise with very little space needed. Although I think caring for the X-man and his sister will provide some exercise too, especially when she is more mobile. :)

    -Maribel

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.