Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thursday Thoughts #7 - Things I Have Learned Recently

I am living with (I think) Gen Y'ers. People born after the Gen X'ers? Anyway, people who are in their 30s. In the two weeks that I have been here, my daughter and SIL have had 4 dinners with guests. Lots of 30 somethings wend their way through this place. (Many with tiny people in diapers.)

Thus far I have learned these things:
  • People in their 30's will politely listen to you as an 'elder' but possibly not take what you are saying too seriously.
  • I was told that I must have been a Tomboy growing up. This I learned from my daughter. I thought I was pretty much a girl-girl, and I distinctly remember a green pair of hotpants, but I guess not.
  • You have to be moving all the time in this household. If you stand still too long, someone hands you a kid, a dirty plate or a load of laundry.
  • Although my bedroom is on the lowest floor in the basement, I must hit every single staircase at least twice during a day.
  • When you take the house alarm off of instant and then set the alarm for 'away' (since you are the first to leave in the morning,) it beeps for 45 times to let you know how much time you have to depart. I make sure that purse, lunch, coffee, dry cleaning and everything else are close at hand before I set the alarm.
  • Those expensive tasso coffee machines cannot be used with tall travel coffee mugs.
  • All those instinctive thoughts on taking care of a baby come back pretty fast.
  • My daughter watches the Food channel most of the day and by the time I get home, she is starving!
  • I keep thinking in the back of my mind, I am still waiting to exhale.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying your posts on this latest adventure. So funny and I really get it.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no wonder she is starving. She needs to find the graham crackers and milk channel. Or Emeril. All the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO - girl, you are one brave soul! Sounds like you have found the positives to focus on which is a perfect attitude to keep in all things! I am just so used to my own space that I am afraid I would collapse quickly or be evicted! ;-)

    How much longer will you be there - when is the retirement date?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right, Sky, and others who have asked. I have made the decision (expensive though it will be) and the counter is down at the bottom of the page (ugly it is, but couldn't find a nicer javascript and I have no talent in that area!)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.