Monday, March 31, 2008

Tech No No's

Tammy at The Daily Warrior recently blogged about cell phones and how frustrating it is to adjust to the cultural changes they are bringing about---such as talking to people who are not talking to you but talking to their Bluetooth..

I find that, for the most part, cell phones are valuable. When I ‘lose’ a family member in the mall, they save me time. When I am trying to meet up with friends or family at a specific time, they come in handy. A cell phone is necessary sometimes when meeting someone at the airport after flight delays, and they are so valuable for emergencies when you are not near your land line.

As a devotee of new technologies I am willing to work on that necessary learning curve. BUT, yesterday, I was in agreement with Tammy.

I had recently seen my son on Friday night after a long hiatus and when I got a text message on Sunday morning, I knew it was him since he is the only person who text messages me and I have never text messaged back. This time I was up for it. It went as follows (names and locations changed to protect everyone):

The Text message I received: “Whazup? Son son”

Me: “Goin shopin, Smith’s coming later, daughter mulchin call if you want”

“WTF did u just write” (When did he get so rude with his mother?)

My diplomatic response, “Call me”

“When”

“Anytime”

“okey dokey imam call u when I get back in “State”

Once I reached the mall I decided to check this text message dialogue to see why my son was out of the state and what was going on. As you have astutely already guessed, I had just received my first wrongly sent text message. (Thank goodness it wasn’t a drug deal.)

So, if you are ‘son son’--- watch your text language please and make sure your dialing finger is accurate.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 AM

    I don't even have a cell phone. I would but it doesn't seem worth it because I don't even go out that much. Tried a track phone when I was traveling but couldn't figure it out and if you don't use your money minutes you lose them and have to sign up again.

    This is so funny! WTF! My husband's mother had one of those scam calls, someone trying to pretend they were her grandson. It starts out "Hi Grandma," and they make you guess who it is and then play the part. Looking for money. She didn't fall for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a well-used cell phone, but I never text - wouldn't know how and couldn't answer. I don't blame you for being upset about that text message. A son would never say that to his mom.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priceless! LOL

    I'm more annoyed at how rude some people are with them than the actual technology.

    Btw, my beauty secret is a wrinkle/pimple/bag zapper on photoshop. ;)

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Never text either,. the letters are way too small for my Sr CItizen eyes to see! I can barely see the numbers to push!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is too funny. i don't understand why ANYONE would want to type out a message when they could pick up the phone and ask the qt., or make the comment, and then just hang up. seems simple to me and much faster.

    i couldn't live without my cell phone. regarding colleen's comment...i have NEVER in my life lost mins! i can't even imagine that. i used to pay for extra mins, but now we have a perfect plan. of course, my friends and family are on the east coast so i am on the cell more than i would be if we were all in the same city or state.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your text msg story is too funny.
    The only time I have ever texted is when my 11 year old grandson texted me one night and then he called and taught me how to reply.

    He thinks I am a cool 78 year old granny for sorta learning how. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.