Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Post Script

I certainly started an interesting discussion on the blog entry below and I guess in the back of my mind thought I might do that and almost did not make this entry. Had this child been older and recognizable, I would not have posted this photo. But she will look very different in a few months. I think this Western society can no longer see sexuality as basic biology that is important to our survival as a species.

We all have masculine and feminine attributes from birth that are important and make us who we are. I do not feel these in and of themselves are bad or should be ignored. They make us the unique adults that we become. Some of us will have real struggles with these traits in a society that so objectifies everyone. I do agree that focusing on these attributes and ignoring a child's intelligence, personality, and health while raising the child is not a good thing. But I do think this is a LARGE leap to say we are 'objectifying' a child while recognizing their femininity or masculinity.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe I have a problem. All I saw when I looked at this picture was a beautiful little girl.
    It did not go beyond this.
    Some of the discussions troubled me.
    Guess I was just on another wave length.
    Blessings to you from this rainy day in Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She appears soft and sweet; her eyes full of childlike wonder. Beautiful!

    My eyes are full of a different kind of wonder right now as I read the mess that was left in the comments of the post below by some rather troubled individual who clearly traverses the blogosphere in search of ways to release years of obvious frustration and rigidity.

    Your grandchild is a gem, Tabor, as is her grandmother.

    (Now pardon me while I go off and close my eyes, virtually slapping the silliness out of anonymity)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people cannot get beyond their narrow focus, Tabor. Don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH JEEZ!!!! some people just have sick little minds!! I looked at the photo and just saw a gorgeous little baby that will grow up and break a few hearts, nothing more.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.