Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thursday Thoughts #11

1. This morning Hubby and I had a crab omelette which we made with two of the crabs we recently caught beneath the dock. This is a luxury meal that is much easier to prepare in retirement as picking crabs requires a leisure morning.

2. I have trepidatiously planted one hybrid tea rose in a bed near the front of the house knowing full well that they are like creme brulee for deer. I was weeding around it this morning and I looked up to marvel at the dozen or so pink buds getting ready to open. Then, even before I sighed with pleasure, the plant said, "I'm too hot. I'm thirsty. My feet are getting too wet. There is some strange fungus in that mulch. That salvia is too close to me..."on and on the temperamental beauty ranted.


3. I just noticed that I have not worn my engagement ring in almost a week, a longer time than I have ever had it off. I took it off to work in the garden and to clean and move basement boxes and it seems that I am doing all of this constantly these days and the ring sits in a ceramic box near the sink.

4. I got an email from work yesterday asking me if I remembered my Safeboot password for the laptop I had turned in. I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants.

5. Daughter is coming down this weekend since both of our husbands are otherwise occupied with fishing and/or golfing making us weekend widows. Since my husband is taking my son along for all of the following week, I may get to see his new girlfriend as she drives him down. I am trying to get her to stay the night...it might be a fun girly weekend after all---although there are toddlers involved so we will have to be wise on the wine.

6. I have not had to plan exercising time much this past month. Moving tons of dirt, digging holes, laying out bags of top soil and peat moss and working it all into the mounds of clay-based soil, laying out bags of mulch, lifting small shrubs and trees in containers all seem to be helping me get plenty of weight lifting and aerobic exercise. Just to increase all this fun, I and hubby have put down quite a bit of landscape brick after putting down the bed sand. Below is just one of the beds we have been working on.


7. I finished reading the Namesake but found the Kite Runner more moving and poetic.

8. I live out in "NO-NPR" land and there is a religious radio station that sits right next to NPR on my dial and overpowers the signal. I have spent time trying to get an antenna to capture NPR but have had no luck. I can only really enjoy NPR very early in the morning or while I ride in my car and now the tuner button has broken on that as well!

9. Kafir lime leaves are quite pungent and certainly two different meals (salmon patties and beef with asparagus) using this flavor are enough to satisfy us for quite some time. My tiny Kafir lime tree is also pleased that I have stopped denuding it for a while.

10. I actually did a crossword puzzle yesterday. That may be common fare for some people, but for me it always was something for those who have idle time which I never had. Although I love words and their meanings, I am not very good at crosswords and actually somewhat intimidated by them. I also rarely have the patience to sit and complete one puzzle. I didn't finish this entirely...but I got close!

9 comments:

  1. Liquid Fence saves our roses from mountain deer. Dave gets it at Home Depot.

    I saw the movie Kite Runner but it was not as poetic as I bet the book was.

    I had TK and his parents for a full weekend and the terrible two's gave me a migraine after he left. lol

    I refuse to do crosswords because I get too many brain farts. Yuck!

    Dave can't cook, have you considered a career of meals by mail. LOL

    Enjoy your weekend Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crosswords are very good for brain farts! They keep you from having those....LOL. I try to do at least a part of one everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that crosswords really help to keep the mind crisp. Except of course when you have a vitamin D deficiency, are in the throes of menopause, and have lost all thyroid function. When those three meet up it's apparently a perfect mind storm eliminating any hopes of focus, and you start to wonder if Alzheimer's hasn't set in and no, I'm not kidding even a little bit.

    It's sooo nice to have a great imagination; you never feel alone.
    It sooo stinks to have a great imagination; you can acquire diseases just listening to pharmaceutical commercials.

    I just loved the chatter of your rosebush! I also love that you're going to have a girly weekend!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started doing crossword puzzles a few years back after observing hubby doing them and reading how good they are for brain exercise.

    I will brag a bit by saying I can sometimes finish the NYT puzzle but it takes me a long time. But what's time to a hog, as the old saying goes, >:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi tabor,
    Got to know your blog through Val at 'Stepping stones'.
    I've read a few of your 'Life-stories' posts and enjoyed them much. Some, I've read over and over(especially 'Homage to the salt of the earth'--Marvellous).

    My parents are retired and I sometimes wonder at their perspective. It's similar to yours too. My dad takes it easy and relaxes but Mom is a busybee--she has taken up a part time job and spends much time outside. Reading your post-retirement posts sometimes gives me a window into what could be going on in their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are planning to wear yourself out, right? You are so busy busy busy.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:53 AM

    I'm embarrassed to say I can only ever finish The People magazine crossword.

    Sounds like a real life to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've found it adds to a feeling of taking a mini-vacation to do an easy crossword in the car going up to walk a beautiful beach early on a Sunday morning. Doing an easy puzzle gives me a feeling of having accomplished something even though we're "on vacation." Oh my, how we can fool ourselves to make the most of our leisure time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried again, and this time blogger is letting me comment.
    My roses are complaining that something is stripping their leaves and making existance difficult for them. They look 'bare naked' But they're forming buds and blooming nevertheless.
    I hope your rosebush survives the deer. Human urine works wonders to keep them away. Sprinkle it around the bush away from the plant a couple of feet. We use it to keep the raccoons out of our sweet corn, and bunnies out of the veggie garden. We read this tip several years ago in a farm magazine.
    I enjoyed your Thursday thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.