Thursday, July 31, 2008

Pausing


To quote a quote..."Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans."

A friend who had been having shortness of breath called on Monday telling us that he was heading to the city hospital for recommended open heart surgery. Then he found out on Tuesday that the scar tissue from a prior surgery was going to prevent any new surgery on this old heart of his. He has said that he will just have to adjust to this new twist in his life and slow down. He is very active and very industrious and never appeared compromised if you did not know his health background. This will not be easy for him or for his wife. I can see the dark premonitions in her eyes. I sit out on my deck asking the powers that be to give them some inner peace on this journey ahead.

I pause thankful that I still have reasonably good health.
I pause knowing that there are no guarantees in this life preventing me from being in his shoes in the future.
I pause knowing that there are no guarantees that my husband will not face a similar fate.
I pause knowing how important each day is in this too short life.
I pause knowing that pausing to smell the air is very important for the soul.

8 comments:

  1. That was indeed a "pause that refreshes". Thanks for reminding us to stop and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminders. I needed this.
    Your interaction with me is very meaningful to me.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent advice! I hope he will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:54 PM

    Prayers go out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, indeed, tabor. this is exactly why we all must focus on what truly is important to us and let the other stuff go.

    i hope he will be ok, emotionally, spiritually, and physically.

    btw - my sister called to tell me while cutting grass for my parents she saw a rattle snake! she had gotten off the riding mower to move and limb which had fallen and there he was! she actually heard the rattles before she saw him. freaked me totally out! she said she jumped back on that lawn mower and took off! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reminding me to pause and think of the good things in life.
    I needed this today.
    Also thank you for visiting my blog.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little quote fits this post to a T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How TRUE!! I have lost several friends suddenly, at the prime of their life, and they had LOTS of things planned to do...but dying was not one of them. I stop and smell the roses every single day.

    I lost all my bookmarks...AGAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.