Monday, September 29, 2008

The Good Life


Yesterday I went to a wine festival. I haven't attended one of these in a decade and discovered in my old age that my palate can get quite tired of the swishing and not swallowing as much as it got tired of the actual drinking. There is only so much wine an old palate can survey before it all starts tasting the same. I decided I was going to just compare the cabernet sauvignons, pinot grigios and maybe a chardonnay or two...but I also came across a new wine called a traminette. Some of you may be familiar with this white wine, which used to be NY65.533.13 and has only recently been given the name Traminette. It was developed at Cornell---those aggies have a grape breeding program. If you go to the link you can see that the wine grows best in a climate such as the mid-Atlantic and thus the one I tasted was both fruity/spicy and also smooth without being sweet. So with a 15% discount I had to pick up 6 bottles of this and then 6 of another wine they had, the Viognier. This is an old grape but also one with which I am not familiar.. Its buttery flavor on the tongue was what won me over.

I now have a mixed case of white wines to get me through the crisp fall days. I also bought a small basket of fuji apples that are so crunchy sweet we may eat them all before I get around to making another pie. I sliced (too lazy to peel) them and fried them in butter, brown sugar, threw in some cinnamon, freshly ground nutmeg, black walnuts and some dried sweet cranberries...a dessert that was so quick and easy last night and put the perfect ending on our dinner of fresh corn on the cob, tomato salad and crab from the dock. I have died and gone to heaven.

12 comments:

  1. You are making me so envious
    The wine and the desert sounds great. I will have to check out the wines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lawd! I'd love that dinner tonight. Want to come and make it for me?


    Give me something red to drink, preferably in the Yellowtail brand from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm
    I love a good dry (0) white wine.
    Probably this won't be available in Canada though.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I will come on over for a dinner like that...
    I quit drinking wine because of the headaches. I'd never know if I'd have one...from two sips to 2 glasses..

    I had some sips on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a feast! yummmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tabor, just thinking. It is a good thing we are blogging friends.
    If we lived close some of us would be knocking on your door.
    Have a great day.
    I need RAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ernestine, I certainly would welcome company any day. We have fog this morning and it is raining heavily now! Kenju, I also like Yellowtail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have several wine tasting vineyards in Oklahoma if you can believe it. The wine really sucks but they sell it in some pretty neat bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made a note to look for "traminette." Red wine gives me a headache so white is my "cup of tea."

    Frying the apples sounds good to me too. I have everything that I need to whip them up - easier than making a pie - my kind of dessert!

    Thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:35 AM

    At this point in life we have figured out what we like, mostly the simplest of pleasures. I felt the same as you when I was recently beer tasting. It's like trying on perfume, after a short while it all blurs together. Plus I was getting drunk. I would have no patience with swishing but not drinking.

    The photo is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive heard of a wine called Gewurtztraminer? In fact I drank half a bottle of it one night last week! And I dont drink, cant take alcohol. Havent drunk for years! Look what happens when girlfriends get together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've made my mouth water with both the wine and food descriptions. I'll have to ask our youngest daughter about that wine. She works in wine distribution and lives right where that wine was created (Ithaca). My husband was an Aggie at Cornell, but studied economics, not grapes :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.