Monday, September 15, 2008

Jaded

For those of you who have passports, can you remember the first time you got yours? I can. I was heading out to live in Palau, Micronesia, and while a passport was not absolutely necessary since it was a U.S. Territory at the time, it was a good idea. After all, we were going to be pretty close to Asia and I might get a chance to visit those many exotic and intriguing countries...and I eventually did! I was in my early 20's and had never traveled outside the U.S.A. This passport was like a luxurious cruise ticket to me. I felt very sophisticated and as if the next best part of my life was just around the corner.

As a teenager I wanted so much to get out of that tiny farm town and see the world. I had no money and was barely able to save and borrow for college. But the best part of the world was just beyond my reach. I was so sheltered at that time, that a trip into Denver got me excited! I even considered joining the Peace Corps to insure travel, and while I got the big intimidating envelope they send out, after reading each page, I felt I could not afford the two years as a volunteer. I had to get on with college and get a job.

Kenju had asked in the prior post if I had passed up a trip to Hawaii just so I could cook. I am a little embarrassed to admit that, in part, I did. I am somewhat jaded by my life experiences. While I love each and every unique island in Hawaii, I have been to Hawaii maybe a dozen times. I actually lived on Oahu for over a year when I went to graduate school there. I spent my honey-moon on the big island---which is very interesting life story in itself that I have to blog some day. I have passed through the tropical state and spent weekends recuperating on return trips from living or visiting various parts of Asia.

So, yes, Kenju, I did pass up the trip to Hawaii. I do know that I am not so jaded that had the month been January or February, I probably would have thrown a swimsuit into a bag and jumped at the opportunity. But for now, retirement and free scheduling around my house are still very fulfilling. After all, yesterday I cleaned out the refrigerator for the first time in two years! And today I have on my schedule to paint those two large iron suns that hang above the garage doors so that they match the window frame colors more closely. (Smile.)

Sometimes, being jaded just means you have lived a pretty rich and fulfilling life.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tabor, for answering my question so nicely. I have been to Hawaii twice, and not enough so that I would pass up another trip there. In fact, I cannot imagine ever passing up a trip to paradise!

    Please tell us about your honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabor, I am with you. I have not traveled as much as you but have tasted other lifestyles. This morning I walked at dawn, hung my sheets outside, deadheaded flowers,
    Checked computer and read Nan's recommendation of first chapter of a book on line. As I was reading, thinking, I need to be doing desk work. But I am at peace and happy.
    I need to clean that frigerator also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a passport and found that sad. I did send my daughter (with English teacher) throughout Europe for me. Europe is not very handicap friendly.


    P.S. You will know if the meet up will be a good one from the phone, or the first 2 minutes.lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like most Canadians have had a passport for years.
    My only gripe after renewing my passport last year, is the new rule that you are not allowed to smile in your photo for a Canadian passport.
    My new passport photo looks like I REALLY need a vacation.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shucks. I thought this was going to be a post about passports, and then you went and talked about all that other stuff, like pineapples. So it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was so afraid to send my passport in for renewal recently thinking it would be months and months before i got it back. surprise! it flew back to me in about 2 weeks! it must have arrived at a time when someone opened it and processed it instead of putting it at the back of the line of pending renewals. considering the nightmares i had heard about turnaround time i was shocked.

    i bet sarah palin remembers when she got hers. she counts visits to foreign countries even when it is just a plane refuel.

    i have noticed you don't travel with your husband very much and figured it was because you need a little time to yourself and that you enjoy the space apart sometimes.

    i am not always fond of the physical traveling to a place...if i could blink my eyes and be there all would be fine. being confined to a plane for a long time is very uncomfortable to me. i feel much like a sardine in a can. as a result i tend to put off travel to far away places which i would love to see. losing weight would help -at least it would create a little more room!

    sounds like you have enjoyed many travels in your life. sometime you must share more with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was five! and it was a joint one with my Mom and Sister. We were being transfered to Guam in in 1951. I have not had one since!! But I will need to get one soon, because we can no longer go to Canada without one! I can throw a ROCK at Vancouver Island, but I cant go there!! SHEESH

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a passport just in case I could tag with my husband on an overseas business trip. It recently expired without a single stamp.

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got my first passport about 40 years ago. My husband and I made a trip to London and then the Netherlands with a Georgia business contingent who were invited by the then Governor Busbee who was trying to secure business for the state.
    I was so excited on the flight across the Atlantic that I could not close my eyes. I thought about my original forebears who came over by ship, some from Ireland. England and Germany in the mid 1700's and marveled at the speed with which we traveled compared to those so long ago.

    Later on we made many trips.
    Paris, Switzerland, London again, Hongkong, Singapore, Italy, Ireland, Mexico. We even flew on the Concorde twice.

    Those were the days my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To say you have lived a rich and fulfilling life is an understatement... I am in awe of the things you have experienced, and you never let lifechanging events like getting married and having children get in the way of your adventures.

    I remember when I got my passport, though it's since expired. And I can't get a new one because all the paperwork I need is packed away somewhere still. But that's probably a good thing because I would hop on a plane and fly off somewhere if I had the opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.