Thursday, December 04, 2008

Thursday Thoughts # 16 ---Categories


  • Under the category of way too much time on one's hands I was in a Michael's craft store looking for gift boxes for some clothing I had purchased when I overheard another customer ask a saleswoman if the kits for homemade Christmas cards had arrived(!).



  • Under the category of way too much stuff and not enough time I had told my kids I didn't want anything for Christmas and when they protested, I said, "Alright, give me a gift certificate of your time." "That's hard.' was the response.



  • Under the category of being married too long hubby indicated he only wanted to get me something I really wanted and not needed. So, I found the coolest pair of cowboy boots in the Coldwater Creek catalog and he immediately went into the next room and called an ordered them.



  • Under the category of missing fashion opportunities what I really need is something that is comfy to wear, something I can clean house and cook in, but something that is stylish enough that I can still answer the door without looking like a couch potato. How does Diane Keaton do it?



  • Under the category of Rome is burning falls the headline about the poor soul who was trampled to death by a bunch of brain dead consumers---may their holidays be filled with no electricity. (Isn't this holiday supposed to be about the birth of the 'Prince of Peace'?)



  • Under the category of dichotomies we saw once again a black domestic cat cruising our woods this morning and had found evidence of a dead bird on the dock the day before. Hubby actually briefly wondered if we should shoot the cat. (Sorry cat lovers...but these guys can be very destructive.)



  • Under the category of mission accomplished all of my holiday shopping is done except for one person and a birthday gift.



  • Under the category of what did you expect? our winter maintenance heating visit revealed that the reason we were feeling a little cold was because the valve to the heater was not working and we were depending on the heating pump alone...cost to fix (as it is under only 1 year warranty): $500.



  • Under the category of reality bites is the news hubby is once again going to Hawaii in Jan or Feb for this project start-up and in order to save money he will be staying with distant friends (very conservative in both their eating habits and their activities) on the side of a hill in the suburbs. While invited, I would not be near a beach or shops or beautiful jungles...so probably will not go as I envision fixing PB and J for lunch and wandering around in their back yard for a week!


  • Under the category of enlightened or unenlightened it wasn't until I saw Obama's acceptance speech that I realized the first lady was black and both her children were black. In all honesty I did not see this in my mind's eye until then!


  • Under the category of getting too old, I had a loosening of something (particles) in my inner ear that gave me nausea and vertigo for about a week up and through Thanksgiving until all was reabsorbed. The first 'attack' was when I got off the elliptical and I, at first, thought I was having a stroke.

  • And finally, under the category of pleasantly surprised it took less than 10 minutes to both change our health care status and change my auto deposit of my retirement check to a different bank with only two phone calls.


8 comments:

  1. As always, you are entertaining and smart. I like you and we have never met, except through our sharing online. My introduction to the computer and writing world is bringing me much pleasure. A big surprise for 2008. Wonder what 2009 will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, talk about a job well done! Excellent post! How in the world did you come up with all that? Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you about Diane Keaton.
    Life is sometimes not fair to us *little people* isn't it?

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least your husband left the room to place the order. LOL.

    I love cats, but my brother has some stories to tell about the domestic ones that do go wild. They are animals after all.

    It was horrible about the poor guy being crushed by the Wal-Mart stampede. Even more horrible that folks were so insensitive and wouldn't stop shopping. Savages.

    I had a very similar experience with the Obama incident you mention. I was looking at pictures of folks celebrating after he was elected and after the 8th one, I thought to myself "Why are they only showing black people?" Oh, right. I was so happy to discover the color of skin is a non issue for me. I wish I could say the same for the rest of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad your vertigo resolved.

    have you ever tried making an amazon wish list so hubby has several options to choose from?

    well, my fashion of choice for housework of any kind (including computer activity) is one of my soft 100% COTTON nightgowns. heaven! and when i want to hang out in the gardens i sometimes put on a long robe and make it an outside outfit as well! comfort is my word. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really enjoying your thought's Tabor. Retirement agrees with you!

    #2 was flipping priceless!
    #3 I guess 5years is married too long because that's Dave. lol
    #4 Newport News has wide legged, petite, elastic pants that lift your butt by Shape Fx. Made from soft legging material and can be dressy or cosy. A MUST have!

    Great insights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want that "gift certificate of time" too.

    It's more precious than any material gift but the hardest gift to get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got lucky with those 2 phone calls. It would have taken me 10!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.