Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Invitation


I got this in the mail the other day. It does not mean I am important because anyone who contributed to Obama's campaign probably got one of these. I have gotten invites years ago from Bill and Hillary, but they looked more like invites to a 'party' whereas (note the use of the archaic here) this one looks like an official document, is letter size, card weight and is even embossed.

The odd thing (other than the fact that I am not going) is that this also came along with an ad for a half dozen items I could purchase to remember the important event. Mugs, coins, whatevah. That sort of took away the dignity of the whole thing for me. Having worked with archivists who preserve realia for a living I am not much of a memorabilia collector. Just something more to dust or store.

9 comments:

  1. the ads for those obama plates and coins would detract, but i think you should save it for show and tell for the kids one day! i am so excited about this inauguration that i can hardly wait. hubby has taken the day off, and we are celebrating here. we considered going a couple of months ago, but the masses discouraged us. transportation and potty nightmares amidst such crowds leave me in panic. restaurants will have 2-3 hour waits. it sounded like anything but fun so we decided to stay put!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice that the "I" for Inauguration is the same as the "T" for Tuesday, but the "T" for Tuesday is not the same as the "T" for The. It would make a beautiful keepsake, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I guess I will have to save this although I do believe that there will be about 100,000 of them out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:39 AM

    That's almost as good as me gettinga robo-call from Barak on Election night and me being stunned enough to talk back.

    But your close enough to go.

    I'm going to be taking a picture today for the paper of a Obabma commemorative T-shirt made by Green Label, an organic cotton T-shirt business here in Floyd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I am impressed. You should definitely save it! It is a piece of history....
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I would save the invite!! BUt the things to order? junque!

    I've pooped over into IE so I can comment here. I read everyday, but if I am in Firefox, I can't let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOORAY! Whatever you did - it worked!

    Can you tell me what you did, so I can tell the others?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the fix. I emailed the others and I hope they will follow your instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a keeper to me too, partly because of the typos which Peruby's keen eye caught.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.