Saturday, February 07, 2009

Isn't It Romantic?

When you have been married as long as I have, and I have been married a lot longer than I ever thought people could tolerate each other, it is hard to buy an original romantic something for that certain someone. Since we were heading up to the city to babysit last week, I had planned a nice dinner at a favorite restaurant in the city for the following night and then taking in Casablanca on the big screen at a theater. My idea of real romance...probably not my husband's...but as much as I love him, he is no where close to being a romantic, so I took the lead on setting this up.

Anyway, as is well-known, he got the flu big time last week and all had to be cancelled including the theater with the resulting loss of the pre-paid
theater tickets.

So, not to be stymied, I had a fall-back idea. I had ordered something for him that I knew he was going to love. It was very expensive and I didn't
realize how heavy it was until it arrived, and over three days, continued to arrive in various boxes! Thus, hubby had to find out ahead of time about the gift to help me lift and put the thing together.

I am sure any nosy neighbors across the river were wondering what kind of sex toy this enormous frame with chains, etc. represented since we put everything together in the bay window of the master bedroom. The directions said that it could be put together in about an hour. Well, that is assuming your husband reads directions and lays out all the parts ahead of time. He started pushing in plastic parts and it wasn't until we reached an impasse that I pointed out that the plastic parts were supposed to go elsewhere. (No you cannot comment on our sex life here.) This was about an hour into the project and we sighed in exhaustion and gave up until the next day. This morning hubby was determined to pull out the plastic end pieces and with some drilling and pulling and sweat he succeeded. We once again started the project. In about an hour the project was finished and looked pretty good.

Boy are the lights bright on this baby! Now we will worry about whether the neighbors think we are growing medicinal plants in the bedroom. We also will have to watch the timer as that might indeed have an impact on our sex life.

This unit has three long shelves that he gets to fill with spring seedlings and he is so excited he even said I could have some of the space. Cool huh?

Post Script: No I do not have shades or drapes for the bedroom. We are saving up for that, although with this recession that may be a long time coming. If anyone wants to watch two old farts walking around naked in their bedroom, here' s to em!

Post Post Script: I think this little project with its hundreds of pieces should count for good elder brain exercise. I haven't done something like this in a while.

PPPS: Yes we once had a homemade seeding unit (quite ugly), but we no longer have the patience to try to build something like that again. We are the kind of people that keep the gardening catalogs going.

9 comments:

  1. That's a great gift.. particularly romantic because he got to do the manly thing of putting something together by pretending he didn't need to read directions.

    I love that bay window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fact that you made an effort is already romantic for me. :) your hubby is quite lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can still see some kind of erotic bondage potential for the neighbors to envision:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabor, you make me smile. You will enjoy this. I love your room with nothing at the windows.
    I might do the same in the country.
    Unless I think someone would be looking in the window. Can't imagine that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is a great gift for someone who knows what to do with it. Mr. kenju would think it was for books.

    I hate curtains/drapes/blinds - but we have to have them on a few windows. I got rid of them in my living room and dining room and kitchen - and I love not having them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - what a great gift! they are very expensive, indeed. hubby wants one, and i have shopped around in catalogs myself.

    we don't do drapes...i like the open light when privacy is not an issue. love the window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, lord, that's awesome. Very, very nice.

    And I really like that window, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:32 PM

    Some intriguing and ultimately hilarious storytelling on your part! Thanks for the smiles.

    Joe and I are babysitting for Bryce as our romantic Valentine's Day outing, while they go out. He is our sweetheart after all. I'm just glad that Joe is as crazy about him as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why do men refuse to read directions?????? That was a very thoughtful gift Tabor. That was a very ROMANTIC gesture in the male world. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.