Sunday, February 08, 2009

Settling In !

Our house was completed (mostly) in June of 2007.

Within the past month I have noticed two doors in this house that are sticking at the top of the frame when I try to open and close them. Really sticking so that I have to tug quite hard to get them open or closed. One is an inside door and one and outside door on opposite sides of the house. I have checked door hardware and it appears that settling has caused this instead of loose hinges. In one case the hairline crack runs from the corner trim through the sheet rock right up to the ceiling. (All photos can be clicked to enlarge.)





I have also noticed that many of the window trims have started to separate at the top corners and baseboard corners. I am guessing over time this can happen to a house as it ages, but I do not remember seeing so many trim corner cracks in the first house we built.

So, I did a walk around inspection and find also that the window frames in a very few instances are pulling from the sheetrock and therefore the paint is chipping.

I also found a nasty case where the ceiling tape is pulling loose as can be seen in the photo above.

While much of this can be repaired with spackling or caulk and paint, is this much settling normal as a house settles? Is this because of green wood? Should we be more concerned? On days when there are big changes in temperature this house will let out an amazing creak or two in the evening as the air cools down. There are no foundation or cement floor cracks, thank goodness.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:34 PM

    I just put some glue into a crack in our 3 year linoleum and then put one of Josh's COMMUNITY bricks on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Colleen, want to send me a couple of bricks? Except I wouldn't know where to put them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you get your builer to come and take a look around? I think that is what I would try to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to say I would call the builder. It seems way too soon for that to be happening to that extent. It is happening in our home, but our home is over 30 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are gathering a crack and touch up list ourselves.

    Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least I don't feel alone, Tammy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack that would be disturbing. I don't know what to tell you other than I hope there isn't too much more damage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tabor welcome to the world of building homes. My present home will be 2 years old in May. Getting ready to put it on market.
    Painter has made 5 trips to repair ceiling crack and try and spot paint. Also have a board coming loose on front porch and several things you mention.
    I had a lot of control when building but when they ask for a punch list 2 weeks after home is built these problems have not surfaced. It takes time of settling. So contractor does not answer my calls for a year and a half. So having repair work done myself. Seldom have I had a contractor return after about 3 months of being finished. Your home is settling.
    Hope it is through for your sake.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.