Thursday, March 12, 2009

The JOY!

Sorry, but this is not about what someone reading the title might be thinking. It is about changes in the American diet. (Well, guess that lost 99% of the readers, you idiot.)

When I was first married and knowing that I would be moving to a remote island in the Pacific Ocean, one of the first things I purchased as my own wedding gift was the cookbook "Joy of Cooking." I was going to be on my own for most of the cooking and needed some good tools. Most Americans know that this is one of the bibles of cooking and a good basic guide when learning to cook. Its first edition appeared in 1936 and I have been made aware that there is at least a 2006 edition; obviously a very popular cookbook written by a mother, who has since died, and her daughter. My well-worn edition of 849 pages covers entertaining, hors d-oeuvre, cereals, brunch/lunch, sauces and gravies, stuffings, meats and seafoods, desserts, preserving, freezing, canning and everything in between.

What made me think of this classic a reader might ask...the one reader who is still reading. I also subscribe to Consumer Reports On Health newsletter and was made aware of the following information by the editor:

A February study "compared the calories in recipes from the 1936 edtion of Joy of Cooking with those for the same dishes ranging from chicken a la king to beef stroganoff and brownies, researchers found an average calories increase of 63 percent per serving. "We attribute about a third of the increase to changes in serving size," Brian Wansink, Ph.D., lead researcher of the study, said in a telephone interview. For example, while a pasta recipe called for a half-cup serving in 1936, the serving size was two-thirds of a cup in 2006."

The editor's note goes on to say that use of high calories ingredients, such as the addition of nuts and raisins to the brownie recipe added the rest of the calories.

This lead researcher has recently written a book titled "Mindless heating: Why we Eat More Than We Think."

I will never lose these last 10 pounds as everything is stacked against me it appears. Repeat after me: I will be more mindful of everything I eat.




11 comments:

  1. I try to be mindful, but I'm tired of it.

    I have an issue of the Joy of Cooking that an old boyfriend gave me in 1960. I suppose I should trade it in for a newer model....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know is that the one picture I viewed of you - You looked perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to eat healthier. It is just hard to do! Heart healthy will be what I need to focus on! I guess I will have to cut down on the real butter that I put on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you still working on getting ready for that cruise? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit Sky and One Woman, my body looks OK in regular clothes. I just would like to look good naked when everything does not hide the rolls of fat in my middle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you. Regular clothes.. eh, ok. Naked.. hide those mirrors! It gets more difficult as we get older. The only solution that ever does some good is to "eat less and do more." If only blogging could be considered doing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laughing about your comment and rolls of fat visibility!

    Mindfulness is my safety line in life.

    When I am in Japan I am always struck by the lack of obesity. I put it down not only to the diet but chopsticks!

    I always come back lighter and healthier - even after two weeks. I put it down to:-
    1. walking so much around temple gardens, miles a day!

    2.I am not fast with chopsticks, and so my eating is naturally slower and incredibly mindful and grateful.

    3.But above all I am happy and so full to the brim of the experiences and sights and sense experience that I am not hungry! I am full of JOY!

    Now whether that translates to your situation I dont know hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. if only i can have your rolls of fat...

    if i get married, i'll try to get a copy of that cookbook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the latest copy of The Joy of Cooking and there is sits unopened on my book rack. I have only made two things (scones, which I love) and a pasta salad.

    I can't do more to work off the fat now and love pastry, so I guess I am doomed to keep that extra 16 pounds that have all settled around my middle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1 mug of coffee w/fat free creamer

    2 eggs no butter minus one yolk

    1 small portioned balanced dinner

    1 mug ice tea no sugar

    maybe a yogurt and THAT'S IT!

    Doc said it's old age and eat fruit. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:56 PM

    I like bigger portions to save for later. I have that book too but have only used a few recipes. My standard back in the day was one from La Leche League with a bent towards quick, easy, and nutritious for busy moms.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.