Monday, April 27, 2009

Abundance and Respite



I feel somewhat guilty in posting this but we are on yet another vacation, heading on our way to a favorite spot at Hilton Head that we go to once a year. We have a lovely three bedroom reserved and no one who has time to share with us! So sad. We will rattle around and maybe sleep in a different bedroom each night!

Two days before we departed the yard clean-up included harvesting oak leaf lettuce and the remaining pak choi from the garden. I was washing huge heads of pak choi that had turned juicy and green from the recent rains. It was like the dance of spring watching sprays of water go everywhere across deep green broad leaf abundance. We also have bunches of oak leaf lettuce that is ready to eat along with the delicious arugula. We will be gone for a week and did not want this abundance to go to waste. Fortunately there is a nearby church group that gives away food and we have packed two large boxes of these healthy vegetables and taken them there.

I cannot begin to explain how wonderful I feel that something that has been a labor of love for me, is healthy sustenance for someone else.

I do not have a laptop, so unless hubby brings his, I will not be blogging until I return. This is a pre-planned post and I am hoping as I write this that the North Carolina fires (a similar experience to our trip last year) will not be a problem in our travel. It is somewhat hard for me to get into another vacation mode when I know there are people who are losing their homes.

I will be visiting one of my favorite places, Pinckney Island Nature Preserve, and taking bird pictures. Some I am sure I will post on my other blog. Also plan to eat at least once in Savannah! This will be our first visit here without family, so the only negotiating will be over the number of canoe trips and the number of beach sits!

12 comments:

  1. It's always nice to share what you have. Enjoy your trip Tabor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you share all those different bedrooms TOGETHER! Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fires are in SC - Myrtle Beach to be exact. I don't know of any in NC now.

    We used to own property on Hilton Head (Shipyard Plantation), but we haven't been there in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope you have a wonderful time on your trip and that you enjoy your day trip to savannah, one of my favorite places on the east coast. so many neat places along the squares. we spent christmas, 2004 there. since i am from georgia, i have played there all my adult life. have had some delcious lowcountry food in beautfort, sc, too. that is where the big chill and prince of tides were filmed. those old southern mansions sit on the bay - some good kayaking there along the river and intracoastal waterway. this is just a bit north of hilton head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I am growing pak choi for the first time, in a large pot on the patio. Now all I have to do is to find some good ways to eat it!

    Enjoy the break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to feel guilty...just invite your fellow bloggers on the trip next year! ha ha : )

    Have a wonderful trip...and, smile knowing that you gave to others before you left...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Include me in for next year. ;-).

    Don't feel guilty about having a vacation. That's like finishing everything on your plate because of all those starving Armenians.

    Looking forward to those bird photos.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your trip. Looking forward to your new images. Relax and smile. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You share your beautiful bounty both in the garden & in your blog. Thanks, enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great vacation. It sounds like you sure will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a pampering kind of vacation. And think of the vegetables you'll come home to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.