Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thursday Thoughts #26---I Am a Very Bad Girl

Sometimes I just can't help myself.
  • While spending time babysitting with my grandchildren I was watching another little boy chase ducks near the playground. His smaller brother, perhaps two, was trying hard to follow but got distracted by a small mud puddle just a few feet away from me. The little guy proceeded to stomp and splash with perfect joy and abandon. The exhausted and distracted father glanced back in pain. I looked across at the young dad and said "When was the last time you got to stomp in a mud puddle?" I then smiled and headed for the slides.
  • I was shopping for bubble bath the other day, and while in one of those suds and muds stores that focuses only on ones self-indulgence, the sales girl offered me the deal that if I bought 3 bottles of bubble bath I could get another 3 free! I am at the time in my life that I think 6 bottles of bubble bath a bit too much and so I said: "Who on earth can used 6 bottles of bubble bath before their expiration date?" Of course her trained response was to get them as gifts. I left the store with the one bottle I needed.
  • I have been watching the chickadee go back and forth like a crazy parent feeding her little ones with insects. The house sits above one of my garden beds. I finally could not resist and stepped into the middle of the bed and peered close into the birdhouse. I saw little moving faces...how cute. But I won't do that again as the momma chickadee almost had a heart attack when she returned.
  • When I went to pick up my vacuum and was told that the circuit board had to be replaced at a cost of $107 plus $40 in labor I actually said "D##n!" under my breath.
  • When I struggled once again with the handle to my freezer and was able to snap it back on the first try I said "Hot d##n." out loud in my kitchen.
  • Last Sunday after spending two days washing windows and window screens, I did absolutely nothing all day other than read, nap, and watch some really bad movies.
  • After grocery shopping I always step out into the yard just to 'check' on things and fifteen minutes later find I am out weeding in my good shoes and go-to-town pants. (I am such a fashion maven...you would be surprised.)
  • I still get email from certain rather disfunctional colleagues with questions about how I handled stuff in my previous job...it has been over a year since I retired. I take my sweet old time in answering. (Why I bother, I do not know.)
  • I have been eating waffles, whipped cream and fresh strawberries for breakfast for the last three days. BAD GIRL!
  • I finally saw the Star Trek movie and I swear I almost cried when they brought up the theme music at the end. I am such a silly Trekkie.

11 comments:

  1. I relate to going from grocery to weeding in garden. I love my old and worn home clothes but do a quick change when leaving home and then like to do another quick change when returning home. Sometimes it does not happen. Waffles, whip cream and strawberries - for breakfast sounds great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I do is go out to look at things in the yard and end up hosing down the deck or walkways and getting my good shoes or pants wet, or dirty with splatters.

    I had strawberry shortcake for dessert last night and strawberries on my cereal this morning. They were really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeding in 'good' clothing. I do it too and now that I am 68, I can weed in the nude if I want!!
    Enjoy the waffles - sounds fine to me. I don't feel bad about what I do, unless it might hurt someone else. Enjoy life your way - you worked hard to get to this time! Now I am off to be self indulgent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were not a bad girl for eating waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. It sounds like a very sensible breakfast to me. Dairy, fruit and grain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooooo looking forward to that movie. I havent really followed all the recent ones, but am an old style trekkie too.

    I remember I realised we had hit civilisation as we know it Jim, when returning overland from India in the mid seventies (and nearly a year on the road) we came into a small village in Turkey, with a bar which had a TV. And Star Trek was showing. Dubbed, but who needs the words. The story lines are not that disimilar in all the old series. It was heaven to see James T and all the crew again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually just got home from work and I was going to start watering the flower beds in my work clothes. Instead I sat down at the computer and am enjoying coffee and then I guess I will change clothes and water. You really don't sound too bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I've never had waffles with whipped cream and strawberries, but having it for breakfast reminds me of a quote...get the sweets out of the way early so you don't have to crave them all day. ;)

    I'm the same way with my yard. Although I'm rarely dressed to the nines, that's when I notice the dead palm branch on the side of the house or a few weeds. It never fails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silly Trekkie? No such thing. The film was terrific. Some weak spots, yeah, but who cares? It was awesome.

    And the breakfast thing sounds damn good to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Hot D**n!" I love it.

    And, Peg-woolinmysoup - even the thought of weeding in the nude started my skin to itching. LOL!

    I see you are a hard sell, too. Although, I probably would have bought all 3 to get the free 3. Bubble bath has an expiration date? No wonder some of mine in the closet looks gray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Sundays because it often gives me a chance to be lazy. Like you, I just read, surf the net, eat whenever I want to and most of the time, just rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need a Sunday like that right about now and laughed at the line about the garden in your town clothes. Happens to me all the time. Yesterday I spent the day at the park with Bryce who was walking around with a pinwheel going up to strangers and deciding if they were safe enough to hang out with as I was just following him around. Then he got chewing gun all over his baby crocs. That's my favorite kind of an exciting day.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.