Monday, June 29, 2009

Balance

In dealing with Mother Nature I have learned that it is all about balance. Having been both a wife and mother I think I understand about balance. The most important balance one must have is in expectations and in how one deals with the willingness to fail once in a while. Whether gardening or raising children or solving a marital issue it is pretty much dependant upon the biology of the moment.

I have always been partial to hybrid tea roses. These plants are very temperamental and cannot be grown organically unless in a hermetically sealed greenhouse. I, therefore, knowing the challenges, had reasonable expectations in the failure and success of the new roses I planted in this yard. Of the five, one looked so bad this second year that I dug it up and tossed it. I did not expect my Olympiad rose to grow so well and so easily. The flowers are perfect in shape, last for days and make excellent cut flowers in arrangements and the plant has thus far been resistant to both bugs and fungus!


I had planted cosmos from seed and they have been somewhat slow to start, but flowers are now beginning to form. This was a surprise as the cosmos I see that is growing with little encouragement in the road medians seems to be very robust. I anticipate my plants will be robust in re-seeding and I will have to watch them closely next year so that I keep them in their place.

My sunflowers, on the other hand, have been so very sad. Several were eaten by rabbits until I sprayed pepper spray on them and also deer repellent around them. But even so, they are struggling to grow in this wet non-California climate. While this photo above was taken days ago and the plants are now over two feet, I must admit that sunflowers are not going to be something I try again.

The vegetable garden has rewarded us with spring crops and now we are harvesting our first tomatoes, cucumbers and raspberries. I find the most wonderful pleasure in getting all kinds of herbs from my herb garden that sits just outside the front door. This was something I dreamed about when I was living in the apartment in the city. These garden tomatoes above (our first harvest for this year) are garnished with basil and fennel...they look almost like a Christmas decoration.

8 comments:

  1. I agree there is often an element of mystery about what succeeds and what fails! I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look great, Tabor. I do think you have to be prepared to fail when gardening. I always am! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rose is beautiful! And it truly is about balance - disappointment and joy. Enjoy your harvests as they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sunflowers never germinated, seeds must be old. I've been transplanting zinnia and marigold grown from seed all over the yard. Cosmos does seem to come in late in the summer. I love those road side naturalized kind of roses, anything easy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like your garden is doing well. Mine is coming along, but the 104 degree heat of late has wilted it. Keeping it and the hens watered has become a full time thing. We had our first BLT's tonight with tomatoes from the garden. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the joys of playing in the dirt....such lovely rewards. i can't wait to harvest some veggies. so far we only have peppers ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Tabor! Love your garden. Love the pink rose picture too. I can only keep a farm at FarmTown on Facebook. In fact, I've been a little addicted to it and it's stealing my time away from blogging. Haha :)

    Yeah, life is all about balance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden sounds wonderful.
    Next Spring I look forward to herbs and veggies. Now I am fortunate to have some grass coming up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.