Saturday, June 20, 2009

It's Just Another Day

After one of the more torrential thunderstorms had cleared a few weeks ago, we were rewarded with the view above from our dock. Actually, there were two rainbows both forming complete arcs across the end of the finger of the river. That more complete view was impossible to capture with my not-so-wide angled lens. Even capturing the colors of a rainbow, that mystical reflection of rays of light painting their way through the raindrop, is quite the challenge as this photo does not look as stunning as the real thing. It was sort of "you had to be there."

It never ceases to surprise me that rainbows create such a feeling of hope and euphoria in me. Maybe it is the electricity in the air that polarizes the brain cells; maybe it is the vastness of the arc that makes us appreciate that, tiny creatures that we are, we were saved from all the thunder and lightning; maybe it takes us back to the first time in our fresh youth when we saw our first rainbow. I don't know, but it sure does ring my chimes.

(This should probably be posted on 'my other blog' but I already have a line-up of pre-scheduled posts with some other photos waiting there! I am spending most of my time in the "room without walls" these days.)

9 comments:

  1. I totally get how rainbows make you feel. It had taken us four years of trying before my first son was conceived. On a rainy August morning, I had a positive result on a home pregnancy test. When the rain began to ease, we headed out for a walk around the pond, and looked up to witness the most brilliant rainbow I've ever seen. There was so much power in its presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it too, Tabor. I usually tear up when I see one; in gratitude to The One who made them. I feel special when I see one - like it was for me alone. That's silly, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It takes both rain and sunshine to make a rainbow" has always been my "mantra" of sorts...always reminding me that to get life's beautiful pleasures one must sometimes deal with a little rain.

    Rainbows are a majestic and inspiring site. Thanks for the great picture!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you had your camera when this lovely rainbow appeared. I don't see many here in the desert (I think the moisture evaporates before the rainbow can appear.)

    I wished for a wide angle lens in Hawaii when I saw a beautiful rainbow from one end to the other. I did get several photos of part of it, though. Because of the rarity of seeing one, it was a real thrill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My camera couldn't have captured that beauty in the sky. It's a great shot, and I understand your feelings of awe and euphoria looking up at that amazing, colorful arc. I could count on one hand the times I've actually seen a rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, what is it about rainbows that has that effect? I still can vivdly see a rainbow I saw well over 50 years ago. I saw its end among the graves of a churchyard - from abus. It has never left me. Can't think why.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have probably only seen 7-8 rainbows in my life. we saw a stunning double rainbow on our honeymoon - the only one of those i have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also feel so happy every time I see a rainbow. I just get so amazed with the kind of magic it brings. Maybe it's the child within me (or us).

    One time I saw a double rainbow and took a shot of the perfect view with my mobile camera. I didn't post it though because I was afraid I wasn't able to capture its perfection.

    Let me end this comment with three lines from one of my favorite songs:

    Someday we'll find it
    The rainbow connection
    The lovers, the dreamers and me

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's out of this world. I used to feel that way when I saw Indigo Buntings but now I see them more often and it has worn off some. I hate that we become nonchalant by what becomes common.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.