Thursday, July 30, 2009

Happy Trails to You

On the last day of my recent hiking trip to West Virginia, one of my hiking shoes decided to throw off the rubber sole plate. My whole fromt foot was just flapping in the breeze and this resulted in us having to visit the nearby drugstore in that famous little mountain town that I wrote about earlier and to purchase that all purpose repair tool known as duct tape. Hubby wrapped my foot sturdily for our final day of hiking before heading home. The temporary repair worked very well. These hiking shoes should have been replaced a number of years ago as the cushioning had long since been pummeled. I remember the day that I bought them, about 15 years ago, in an REI store in Denver.

We had gone to visit my relatives outside Boulder and we were planning on doing a little hiking in the Rocky Mountains. My brothers and sister who hiked all the time were amazed that I was planning on hiking in tennis shoes. It was decided by my relatives and husband that I finally needed a REAL pair of hiking shoes. You may be surprised at how nervous I was trying on hiking shoes. I felt like an impostor. These fancy shoes were for people who climbed mountains and straddled ridges and skirted glaciers. All I did was follow cleared mountain trails and stumble across meadows. I felt guilty spending so much money on something I only used a dozen times a year. REI had a ramp that you were supposed to walk up and down rather fast to see if the shoes were comfortable in the toe area. I self-consciously pretended I was testing each of the various sizes and finally bought the pair of shoes above.

They were the most comfortable shoes I owned, and after the first few hikes I regretted not putting out the money earlier.

Upon returning from our West Virginia trip the next weekend we drove up into the city and stopped at the REI store there and purchased a new pair of hiking boots. This time it was just like buying a pair of shoes. I put on the cushioned hiking socks I had tucked in my purse, put on various pairs of shoes and walked all over the store in them. I was not self-conscious at all. and actually focused on feel and comfort. I purchased the "cute" little silver blue trimmed shoes above and I am now looking forward to another 15 years of hiking. I think they do say the legs are the last to go, and I am counting on that.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you are right. My knees are beginning to bear witness to years of standing - I don't know what they'd do if I were a hiker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As full disclosure I have a bad knee that sometimes kicks up going down hill...but since it is only sometimes I have been able to continue hiking. I think I have the beginnings of arthritis in one hip but I am going to ignore that for as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amused at how you felt self-conscious about buying the right boots. I feel like that imposter when I get suited up for just about anything. I like the spiffy silver detailing on the new pair.. like a nod to the product that allowed you to finish your last hike.

    And I just today downloaded the song Happy Trails for our upcoming Wild West themed street party. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Necessity is the source of invention and I think your duct tape shoe might start a new trend.

    I wish it were true that the legs are the last to go. Mine have now gone and the rest of me is going. The knee was the first joint to tell me I was getting old and now my hip finished off any dreams of even walking long distances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know about my agony! A few years ago at Myrtle Beach I stopped in and bought a pair of SAS sandals. They were so expensive but so comfortable.

    I bought my second pair a couple of years later. In lieu of my recent problems it looks as though I am going to have to invest again.

    Good shoes really make a difference. Who knows? My pain may just go away with new shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll never forget when I hiked down to the Havasupi Indian Reservation in the Grand Canyon with the wrong shoes on and got a blister that made me miserable.

    My favorite boots are a mix of hiking and walking from LL Bean but they don't make them anymore and I haven't found anything I like since. I don't like a clunky hiking boot. Too small for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an almost brand new pair of hiking boots, still in the original box. Alas, my knees and various other parts are no longer able to go for proper rambles, all I can do now is walk sedately with the dog; no hiking boots required for that.

    I have just caught up on your memory chest posts; love them. Enjoy the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to get a pair of hiking shoes. Your photo with the duct tape on the shoe is classic. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah new boots, well done. I hope you and they have many happy miles together!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.