Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Junk in the Trunk---Part II

Finding some uninterrupted afternoon time I sat and opened the scrapbooks and as requested took some photos for the many, many readers and lurkers of my blog. Hang in there, this should be really, REALLY interesting...!


I so 'fondly' remember putting together this 'comprehensive' manual for our basketball coach which was ultimately for the team that year. He 'contracted' with our Business Education teacher to have me and my best friend be his personal secretaries. He corrected every period and we worked for days changing many details! I can guarantee that he probably had to take remedial English in college and was trying to get even in some weird way. This would have had questionable shades of sexual discrimination today. At least they should have admitted that no one on the basketball team knew English and therefore, could not read it (How's that for discrimination?).



It appears from this memento that, during High School, I went to the State Convention for the Future Homemakers of America. This conference did not appear to have made any impression as I cannot remember much of it at all! I also do not think I am an exceptional homemaker as a result, either.


This is our hometown newspaper with an article on the newest members of National Honor Society. Wow...were we a little dorky, or what? Here we stand waiting to be served tea by our club faculty sponsor. She was like a little Ms. Marple. (Names have been redacted to protect those still serving jail sentences.)


While in High School I was in a fashion show. I DO remember this because I am such a nut for parading around in new clothes. We got to wear clothes borrowed from the dress stores in the nearby larger town. As you may recall, I came from a family that watched money closely and I rarely got to wear new clothes. This was a treat for a poor farm girl.



This is the important notice of my college tuition waiver, which had I not received, I may not have gone to college.


This is my Freshman Beanie...Yes we actually wore them for one whole day. What a crock!


This is a homemade record of something...what I don't know. Now I have to find a turntable! Maybe it was something from debate club?


When I turned 21 during my senior of year of college, one of the my former High School upper classmen friends, a really nice guy that I had no interest in, invited me to the Playboy club in Denver for drinks to celebrate. (I hope he didn't pay for membership just for me!) It was an awkward and cool and weird experience. I was so naive that I didn't question why someone would be serving me drinks in a rabbit costume with overflowing mammary glands. I cannot tell you how absolutely sophisticated I felt, as if I was in some Doris Day movie. I am sure that I looked like a 14-year-old Doris Day as well! ( And, no, I didn't do anything non-Doris Day at the end of the evening.)

Next on my memory journey is a bunch of letters that I continue to pour over! Enough about me, now, what about all of you?

8 comments:

  1. You have some interesting memorabilia. I can't wait to hear about the letters. I have a friend whose 70th birthday is today. Your life sounds similar to hers back then. She grew up in Madison Wisconsin. Anyhow, thanks for sharing all the cool stuff. I love going back in time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fun.. your own personal time capsule. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Lover it and looking forward to more :)
    xsm

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had an impressive record in High School. You said that we shouldn't be impressed because your class was small. Well, I am impressed and I'll bet that you would have stood out in a class of 250.

    Great memories (or not).

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUN! i can't even find my high school annuals. i am afraid i threw them out in one move or another. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. These last three posts are a treasure, Tabor - sure bring back strong memories of that time. The style of the Fashion Show drawing looks so familiar!

    Okay, since you asked I'll spill! My high school graduating class consisted of 104 girls, with a 10-mile bus ride between far-flung Chicago suburbs but the albums were New Christie Minstrels, also chosen with care because there was little money. The prom dress was cut along similar lines, in pale aqua with a belled skirt.

    My guess is that we're pretty close in age, but I got a scholarship and started college at 16 so was already there when President Kennedy was killed. I never went to the Playboy Club, but remember when a very beautiful blonde girl in our crowd was approached by a Playboy scout in downtown Chicago.

    Have fun with the rest of it!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very impressed with your documentation skills! I guess I'm making up for lost time now. I have barely nothing from my past beyond some photos, but started better record keeping with the birth of my sons and kept scrapbooks of their art and the precious things they said.

    I look forward to the Floydfest hub bub winding down so I can go back to taking pictures of flowers and do some thinking for a change.

    Floydfest happens on the Patrick/Floyd County line but people come from all over. Last year an estimated 12,000 attended, probably the same this year. It's really worth the trip for the weekend. My family members are taking turns coming from Mass now.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.