Sunday, July 05, 2009

Mums on Acid

Am I the only one who wonders about wildlife like this when the 4th of July comes around? The very first explosion sent two geese (this photo above is of ducks) high into the air and away from the river. We watched, for the very first time, from our boat, the small town fireworks. It was preceded by some very nice smaller fireworks shows on the lawns of several mansions at the mouth of the river. The boats were anchored in comfortabe space along the mouth before the entry to the bay and while the water carried the banter of celebratory boaters, the dusk and darkness provided a blanket of privacy. Since it was just hubby and I we could freely neck as the nightflowers exploded against the black sky. Other things I noticed in the glass half full side was that the weather was a breezy 72 degrees and the normally sweltering sun was hidden behind a high gray sky that threatened rain which never happened. This is the coolest 4th of July I have experienced in a long time. For a while the wakes of the boats prevented me from reading while waiting for the dark, but eventually the surface of the ocean calmed down.

The glass half empty side was that the almost full moon was hidden and could not light our way home at the end of the show. The glass half full was that all 99% of the boaters were intelligent and polite and actually followed the Rules of the Road and wending our slow way home watching the red and green bow lights on the motor and sailboats along the 5 miles up river was actually quite nice.

I know that it is impossible to take a photo of fireworks when sitting on a rocking boat, but the photos below were fun to process anyway. They look like mums on acid.



We almost didn't take this holiday challenge as our neighbors had said the boating was crazy on the 4th, but since we had been alone all day we needed to do something. We were pleasantly surprised and now feel perhaps we can take our grandchildren out on this holiday.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely and kudos to your fellow boaters for behaving well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to spend the 4th of July. :) You have such a way with words that I felt as if I were there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about that, Tabor, I didn't realize our son had logged my husband's account in. The above comment is from moi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 2nd photo looks like a dandelion exploding!

    My cats' sleep was disturbed by the fireworks. I have had dogs in the past who got hysterical and frantic when fireworks were heard. I feel sorry for animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last night we watched the PBS presentation of "A Capitol Fourth"; a great show complete with fireworks and singers, bands etc.which came from Washington DC on the Mall. During the fireworks segment, as night was falling, they showed boats on the Potomac river with a ringside view of the spectacle of the fireworks over the capitol building

    Awesome. As your view must have been too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mums on acid - ha, ha, ha. I think you had a perfect way to celebrate the 4h even if your firework photos came out a trifle blurry. (Necking? I'm jealous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful pictures...when I try to shoot fireworks, I get streaks and weird color swirls but I guess it is because I just open the lens and move the camera around. Wonderful to think of necking on an open boat. Karen and I did the same thing except it was actually our bed instead of a boat, and (sigh) we fell asleep early instead of necking. Other than that it was the same. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Necking on the river with fireworks to follow. What more could anyone need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds you both had a nice 4th of July! Congratulations to America!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Mums on acid" is a great way to describe those fireworks. My attempt at capturing them (on solid ground) was quite similar. I need a tripod.. and less wine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, lovely that Ronni introduced us. What lovely humor. Yes, I've done the fireworks on the boat, but this year we did it on a bay beach. That too was good. Here in Ocean Beach CA, one can swim out to the pier on one's surfboard and float right under the waterfall off the end. :)

    You can freeze or freeze dry that parsley too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In Japan, there are fireworks display almost every Saturday night in August. Too bad this year I can't see them because I'm going home. That's the glass half empty side. The other side, which is something I'm really looking forward to, is my home visit. :)

    It's good to know that you had a fun celebration! :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.