Thursday, July 02, 2009

Sheesh, Is there no Zen here?

I am heading out to dinner at the 'summer' house of the head of a unit that I worked with in a prior life and for whom I had a miserable "TEAM" working experience. I am only going because my husband's project requires could use this fellow's input and support. I am going to see his summer cabin and praise its lovely location and praise his wife's marvelous cooking and watch his beautiful children play at the water's edge ( if they are there) and then come home, and hopefully, not throw up. I can rise above this.

Tomorrow Saturday is our Independence day in America. It really is an important day and unfortunately we sometimes convert it to BBQ and too much drinking and forget the real reason we have to celebrate. We had invited my son and his friends but my son never responded told my husband he would let us know and so the few other people we invited at the last minute had also made other plans. I hate empty holidays but looking at the glass as half full, this means I do not have to put on fresh sheets in the bedrooms and plan any meals! (My daughter and family are visiting friends for this day.)

I spent this morning chasing Mr. Rabbit in circles around the flower garden and then around the vegetable garden....REALLY!! My husband thought this was very funny. He has a very immature sense of humor. I also had to move the little box turtle from my sad sunflowers as he seemed to be lost in the sparse jungle of stems. Why oh why do I think I can fool Mother Nature?

(In case you need a break from my ranting: The recipe for parsley dressing is here for one of the salad dressings. The other I made up using balsamic vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, salt, garlic, parsley, red wine and olive oil..maybe some other things, but I sort of was working with the cooking muse and working on using up leftover stuff. All was whipped in the food processor.)

The transmission, clutch(?) something went out on my 10-year-0ld Mazda last night and after it was towed from my front yard this morning to the mechanics garage he said it would cost $500 just to go in and look at the problem!. This is after a tree fell on the deer fence last week which will cost $300 to repair. There is a glass half full here...it is cloudy with scum floating on top...but at least the car stalled in the yard instead of in the Virginia mountains where we were a few days ago and at least I have free towing with my insurance.

I hope all of you have a Happy 4th...even if you don't live in the beautiful if somewhat crazy U.S.A.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, bummer! One of the C's that can bring me to my knees. Cars, children, computers. (Christ if you are religious).

    Car trouble. I could cry when I have it. 500 just to look at it. Good grief! What a racket!

    Speaking of... did you get the computer (browser) problem fixed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peruby. I took your advice and used the link and downloaded the software and it 'said' it found two trojans...thus far everything has been humming along once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!!! that glass is full to the top, but I am not saying what is in it...this was hilarious. Happy 4th..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to fill that glass with some sort of booze and relax. I'm sorry about the car and the deer fence, but you are right that it's best it died in your yard.

    Our 4th will be fizzling instead of sizzling this year, but I won't forget why we are supposed to be celebrating.

    As to the "summer house" - we all do things for our spouses that we'd rather not. I hope it was better/easier than you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a wonderful 4th.. from one of your friends north of the border. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you look at the bright side of things (or try polishing the dull side)...it's how I choose to view/live life, too.

    Btw, I can't imagine putting cinnamon in my salad dressing, but I'm willing to try it!

    Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend!!

    PS - Next time tell your husband to take a video of you chasing rabbits! I have an immature sense of humor as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always make me smile. Checking the wilted city garden for 2 days. Enjoy your time alone with your other half.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe. Hope the dinner didn't take too much out of you. Nothing like a team with management that is anything but team like. Go team, quickly, run away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope the curiosity about his summer home made dinner there worthwhile for you, and that during the course of your time together you found some new, redeeming qualities you had not noticed before.

    oh boy, do i hate car trouble, too. i used to drive a manual transmission and had to pay for a few clutches along the way, but i do not recall ever having to pay for the diagnosis of the worn out clutch. hoping the cost will include the labor for replacing it since they will have already broken everything down to get to it. glad you are safe and that nothing happened while you were driving it down/around a mountain!

    we usually spend this week on the Oregon coast, but my surgery this wednesday prevents it this year. i don't need to risk contracting a virus right now. be glad you are not spending the holiday there without guests because you are having major surgery and avoiding germs! i'll swap reasons with you for sure! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Fourth of July!
    Stiff upper lip and a bit of two-faced-ness required for the first part.
    Fill your glass to the brim, that'll get rid of problem No. 2
    Plus exercise in the open air - now what could be wrong with that?
    Drat the car, a nuisance but the insurance will take care of that.
    Glass empty again ? refill anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tabor, a very happy Independence Day! I was in NY last two years on this day, and watched the marvelous fireworks from FDR Drive as I wished the great country a happy independence day. As I write this now, I am hoping I can be there to witness many more July 4ths.
    And empty holidays? Naah, I wouldn't call them empty when you have so much around you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at the 'team' reference. Made me shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great that you always look at the glass half full Tabor! Belated Happy 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.