Friday, October 09, 2009

Authentic Ski Town---Not

The historic town of Breckinridge? I found it has changed so much. I remember it as a small town where I could get a decent bowl of chile or a plate of hot enchiladas after a cold day of skiing. Back during my youth the few restaurants that were open were small and crowded with skiers in bulky jackets and ice crusted hats. Muddy snow covered the floors and the places were always noisy with energetic talk of great runs at the end of the day. People hurried through their meals as many of us had the long trip down the mountain and back home in the evening. Only a few stayed at the ski lodge.

The town has now morphed into a cutsey Yuppieville of boutiques and high-end souvenir shops complete with one of the best French bakeries in the state. The owners are very much French and the American waitress told me she had learned all the bad words of the language from the couple when they argued with each other during the day. Passionate couple I guess. The crepes are wonderful and the beignets are like sugar and air as they melt in your mouth. Forget the diets all ye who enter here. There are plenty of uncrowded restaurants in mid-September offering a wide variety of food.

We ate lunch on this patio at a Thai restaurant that was not run by Thai but served reasonably authentic food. I could have been eating anywhere including my city with the choices. The only genuine experience left was the dramatic view of the mountains on either side of the town. There were HUGE parking lots just outside of town where they shuttled people to the lift or into town. It must be a nightmare here during the ski season. (For all the hiking fun that I had on this trip you have to check out my other blog.)

Interestingly, everyone walking around this place looks young, healthy and like they have a trust fund!

5 comments:

  1. My husband and I drove through Breckinridge once. We bought some property in Hartsel Springs and we were on our way to see our land, which by this time we had already owned for about four years.

    We still own it, and to this day, we're still not sure which parcel is ours, but we did find the general vacinity of our five acres. haha. It is completely uncivililized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P. S. I finished my five words but I will post them later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breckenridge where?

    I thought it was Colorado, but now I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Kenju,it is Colorado! Damn trust fund babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin lives there, way out there and up in a cabin. I visited him once in June and we had to use a snowmobile to get in and out of his place. His brother lived in nearby Alma (old mostly deserted mining town).

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.